Road Trip - SF to Sonoma

Sep 26th, 2017, 01:18 AM
Original Poster
Road Trip - SF to Sonoma

We're visiting CA in December for two weeks. It's our first trip there.

We're flying into SF, and we already have the second week booked to say in an awesome place in Sonoma.

Question is - where else could we visit? We're thinking of 4 nights, then spending 3/4 days or so doing a bit of a road trip to end up in Sonoma. What should we see? Any cool places to head to/stay in? It's fine if the route is a bit all over the place... want to make the most of seeing CA whilst we're there.

Thanks in advance!
Sep 26th, 2017, 07:03 AM
It is a bit hard to plan a road trip in Dec. The weather could be perfectly OK -- but it might be really stormy/wet.

My initial suggestion is 3 or 4 days in the Monterey/Carmel area. But a road trip from there up to Sonoma would take hours, not days. If it was summer or Fall I'd suggest some time exploring the Delta -- but NOT in December. Yosemite or Tahoe would be good -- but getting accommodations in Yosemite in Dec is problematic and for Tahoe, if there is snow, rental agencies don't allow tire chains.

Soooo - I'd probably suggest Starting in Carmel and then spending the days between there an Sonoma exploring the Gold Rush towns along hwy 49. Sonora, Columbia State historic Park, Murphys, Sutter Creek, Amador City, Plymouth. Then EITHER farther north on Hwy 49 through Placerville/Coloma/Auburn and then I-80 west to Sonoma . . . or . . . From Plymouth take the Jackson Hwy or Hwy 50 into Sacramento and stay one night there. Great dining scene plus the terrific State Railroad museum and Crocker Art Gallery.

Search this Thread