Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Travel Topics > Road Trips
Reload this Page >

Road trip: Seattle to LA - 10-12 days enough?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9th, 2005, 02:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would it be enough time to leave Seattle on Aug 24 and spend appx 10-12 days making our way to LA? We'd like to enjoy all that's in between the two cities - we're outdoorsy and want to take in the beauty of the coast and the forests, and also spend time in the wine region and San Fran. Can anyone recommend an itinerary?
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 03:28 PM

Fill out a skeleton itinerary: what you feel you must see, and try to figure out how many days that will take. And then fill in other things as time allows. BTW, which wine region(s)? Washington's, Oregon's or California's?
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 03:39 PM

Yes, it is possible in twelve days, but it won't be leisurely.

I suggest you follow the coast on 101 and 1 all the way to Santa Monica, checking out the Oregon Coast, Redwoods, Mendocino, Sonoma/Napa Valley, San Francisco, Monterey, Carmel, Big Sur, San Simeon, Cambria, Santa Barbara, and as many of the other towns along the way as possible (Ventura, SLO, Pismo Beach, etc.).

If you must move more quickly, pick up the Oregon coast just north of Lincoln City and depart it on 128 south of Mendocino. Then, leave SF on 101 (rather than 1). Skip Monterey in favor of Carmel, if necessary.
Old Jul 9th, 2005, 08:38 PM

It'll be hard to decide what to do-10-12 days isn't very long. Like the other poster suggested, pick you absolute must-sees and go from there.

You won't have time to do the whole coast, so I'd suggest doing northern California to San Francisco. Leave I-5 in Oregon at Grant's Pass and head west-this route takes you past Oregon Caves (a great stop-you could take a cave tour) to the Redwoods. Follow 101 south, through the Redwoods and past the beaches, and then catch Hwy 1 and take that to San Francisco. The coast south of SF isn't nearly as spectacular, so you could skip it and drive on the interstate directly to LA after seeing SF and the wine country.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
It's certainly enough time to do the driving if you stick to the highway, but for me would be on the short side for the stops and scenery I'd want to do, and taking the coast road at least part of the way.

Budget Travel Jul/Aug 05 issue in 'Trip Coach' has a Seattle to San Diego road trip itinerary. They took 3 weeks, so you'll have to thin it out and do alot more driving per day but might give you some ideas. I'm not sure if the article is included but that magazine is also online now at BudgetTravelOnline dot com.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 07:34 AM

I feel constrained to note that Highway 1 between San Francisco and Santa Monica is one the most celebrated highway engineering accomplishments in the world. It is also the most spectacular ocean-side drive in the United States, and it passes through some of the most beautiful, charming, and historic cities in California: Carmel, Cambria, San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, Ventura, and Malibu—to name a few.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

thank you all - you've given us a bunch of ideas. i will take your advice - construct a "must-do" itinerary and fill in the gaps. once i have a better idea, i will be back with more specific questions! thanks again.
Old Jul 10th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Of course it's not enough time - a lifetime is not enough time.

That said, sure, you can see a lot in a dozen days, evidence one of the bazillion possible itineraries I've sketched out below. In the event you're interested in winery areas, I've tilted it a little in that direction.

Day 1. Seattle-Yakima Valley winery areas via Mt. Rainier. (Numerous B&Bs in vinyard areas.)

2. Yakima - Portland via Columbia Gorge. (Definitely a don't-miss experience.)

3. Portland - Newport via Yamill Co. wineries. (If you haven't had enough by now.)

4. Newport - Bandon via coast. (Easy day - plenty of time for pulling over and gawking, or walks in the sand dunes near Florence.)

5. Bandon - Crescent City via coast. (Ditto - this is the premier scenery part of the coast IMO.)

6. Crescent City - Ferndale via Redwoods. (This is the highlight of the whole trip IMO if you haven't seen the big trees.)

7. Ferndale - Mendocino via 101/SR1. (Back to the coast.)

8. Mendocino - Sonoma via SR1 & Occidental. (Stop for a late lunch or early family style dinner in Occidental - a funky village in the hills.)

9. Sonoma - SF. (A day of winery prowling in Sonoma/Napa, then into the City.)

10. In SF.

11. SF - San Simeon via Carmel. (Late lunch at Nepenthe at Big Sur.)

12. San Simeon - LA. (First morning tour of Hearst Castle, then around 4-5 hours to LA.) Try late lunch or coffee in downtown Santa Barbara.)

I've held it to less than 4 or 5 hours driving in any one day, some considerably less, to allow for morning or afternoon walks, picnics, etc. Because of this limit, you could spend an extra day here or there simply by combining 2 driving days into one; none of the choices would be killers, except the SF-San Simeon-LA days, which I've done in one but felt pretty pooped on arrival. Depends on where in LA, too, since you'd be arriving on Labor Day weekend, hence lots of cars on the roads.