Road trip - NYC stop

Search

Road trip - NYC stop

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20th, 2019, 11:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Road trip - NYC stop

We’re taking a road trip thru New England and want to give the kids a short taste of NYC but don’t want to attempt driving in the city. Any suggestions of area suburbs that would offer decently affordable, safe accommodation and also have a fairly straightforward train/metro into the city? TIA
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 11:47 AM

I am not the best person to answer this. But so that others can help you better:

Are you flying into New York, and if not, where are you coming from?

This may impact what your best option is. We have been to New York a few times, and had to drive through for college trips. The freeways and interchanges can also be challenging.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

We’re traveling the east coast (ish) for two to three weeks. Driving from Florida. We LOVE road trips and usually do about 5k miles and concentrate on smaller towns and oddities but want to take a day in NYC to switch it up.
Old Mar 20th, 2019, 07:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Probably your cheapest and easiest option would be to park near Newark Penn station and take New Jersey Transit (or Amtrak Northeast Regional) to New York Pennsylvania station. The trip takes 20 to 25 minutes.
The fare is usually $5.25 per person.
If Newark is too rough for you, you could get on a Northeast Regional in Wilmington Delaware but it costs much more. The Wilmington Amtrak station has been renamed for Joe Biden.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 03:02 AM
J62

Getting a hotel in Newark would not be your cheapest option, not by any means.

Here are some options north or northeast of the city.

A. Metro North Hudson Line
1. Beacon NY area, on the Metro North RR Hudson Line. You could stay at a chain hotel at I-84 exit 13, Fishkill, and from there it's about a 5min drive to the Beacon RR station. Train ride is about 60-75min. The Fishkill area is non-descript NY suburbs, but easy access from I-84. Trains stop for 2-3min to hop on. This is a busy station at rush hour.
2. Poughkeepsie - 2 stops further north on the Metro North RR Hudson line, but not as quick access from interstates. train is a bit longer. Since this is the origin of the MNRR line it's easier to get on the train here as they are waiting in the station.
3. Further south on the MNRR Hudson line, somewhere between Beacon and Tarrytown, eg Peekskill.
4. Tarrytown, also easy access from interstates.

Any of these would let you loop around NYC to get back on I-95 south towards Florida.

B. Metro North New Haven Line
5. Somewhere in CT Like Stamford. You could connect to I287 across the Tappan Zee Bridge to avoid NYC.

C. Metro North Harlem Line
6. White Plains - also very easy access to I287 to loop around NYC.
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 04:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Just wanted to add that if your are willing to brave a couple of blocks of NYC driving, the Travel Inn, near the Lincoln Tunnel, would give you far more time in town, not to mention convenience. They offer on-site parking for $30 a day. https://www.thetravelinnhotel.com
Old Mar 21st, 2019, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the options! I have driven in major cities before and absolutely detest it - I had looked into Newark since it made the most immediate sense but was concerned about the area. I’ll def check into the other options as well. Thanks again!
Old Mar 23rd, 2019, 07:09 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Be aware that getting a parking place at a Metro North paeking area inthe NY suburbs may be a challenge. It used to difficult when commuting in at an early hour.
Old Mar 25th, 2019, 11:54 AM

Friends did this on a recent trip.

They stayed at a hotel near Newark Airport and used a shuttle service into Manhattan. I think there is also a subway service, but others can chime in on that option. They said that the Jersey Gardens Mall across the highway also had decent hotel options and eateries. They recall a bus service to Port Authority, but didn’t use it.
Old Mar 26th, 2019, 06:10 AM

The Metropark stop on NJ Transit has a garage where you can park for $9 for 24 hours. I'd suggest you park there as early in the day as you can, then take a NJ Transit train into Penn Station and visit Manhattan for the day. Return as late as you wish, retrieve your car, and stay at a cheaper nearby hotel. This will allow you to miss a lot of the traffic coming into the city that you wouldn't be able to avoid if you stayed in a nearer, more congested area like Newark. Plus, Metropark is safer than Newark, and this is the station a lot of people park at when they don't want to drive into Manhattan. You can also park at Hamilton Station between Princeton and Trenton, but it's a bit more expensive, and it might be busier. It costs $11.75 for adults, half for kids, and the trip takes between 45 and 60 minutes. The trip into the city sounds expensive until you realize that the tunnel costs $15, and parking in Manhattan costs at least $30 to $40. Unfortunately, I can't recommend specific hotels.

The next best option would be to park in a garage in White Plains, staying in a nearby hotel, and taking the train about 30 to 40 minutes into the city. That trip takes an hour and costs $10.50. But parking in White Plains may be more expensive, and ditto for hotels.

I don't think the Stamford option will save anything and might be considerably more expensive, but there are a lot of well-priced hotels near the Meadowlands and Secaucus in NJ, and you can get a bus in from the Meadowlands and a bus or train from Secaucus. Both are fairly close to the city.