Road trip New Jersey to Montana

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We plan on taking a summer (August) road trip to Montana and then back - by a different route. We expect to spend about 3 weeks. Will stay in Montana for at least 3 days. Want to sight see on both routes. Any suggested sights to see? Also suggested routes.
Old May 20th, 2013, 08:58 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
How many are the "we"? Is this with your own car or a rental?
I love riding Amtrak but others hate it.
To avoid driving through a lot of what others consider "flyover country" you could take Amtrak to either Milwaukee or St. Paul MN and rent a car there.
By all means get to Whitefish MT and see the "Going to the Sun Road" with a stop at the top of Logan Pass.
With as much time as you have you can drive south and see Yellowstone for a couple of days before heading back east through Wyoming and South Dakota. Stop and see Devils Tower and Mt. Rushmore. East of Rapid City stop to see Wall Drug and in Mitchell, see the Corn Palace.
Old May 20th, 2013, 11:29 AM

We did a cross country trip like the one you describe many years ago when I was a kid (from NY to CA) -- took the southern route going and the northern route coming back - also in 3 weeks.

If you start with the southern route you can go thru' NM, AZ, CO, Utah then north to WY and MT, and back thru' the Dakotas --all of which have plenty to see, including Natl. Parks, but you'd probably mainly be seeing the highlights.

You can take in the sights mentioned in the previous post, plus more, including the Badlands of SD, Grand Tetons up to Yellowstone, the Grand Canyon in AZ, Bryce and Zion in Utah.

Check with AAA. I imagine they still do the Trip-Tiks, where they map out your entire trip for you, including suggestions of places to stay along the way, estimated driving times, etc.
Old May 21st, 2013, 05:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both. It will be my car and there are 2 people involved (sisters-in-law). Taking the south route to Montana sounds interesting. I think that we will seriously consider doing that first. I had planned to contact AAA but wanted some personal insights.

Thanks again.
Old May 21st, 2013, 07:58 AM

Good luck with your planning, and let us know if you have more questions.