Road Trip Mich to Florida with pup.

Jan 2nd, 2011, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

Road Trip Mich to Florida with pup.

DH, pup and I will be leaving in a few weeks to land in the Keys for a month or so. I have printed up all of the La Quinta Inns on a direct route, as they have proven to be clean, comfy, dog friendly and budget friendly in the past. Any suggestions on routes that would avoid difficulties if the weather gets dicey and actually any advice would be greatly appreciated. Also, am going to look into a different dog carrier, for a 6# yorkie. Any tips on that?
Jan 5th, 2011, 06:10 PM

Hi retired04!

Which side of Michigan will you be coming from?

I grew up north of Jackson. ExH and I moved to the east coast of Flordia during the last Great Recession. Being closer to the east side of the state, we always took I-75 to I-10 to I-95. In your case, you'd probably want to pick up the Florida Turnpike south of Ocala. You can either stay on it all the way to south Florida, or jump over to I-95 at Ft. Pierce.

We did leave from the Grand Rapids area once, and tried I-69 to I-65. I can't remember where we cut to the east, but do remember the trip seemed to take much longer.

Some of our family members like to take the state roads across Ohio, then pick up I-77 to I-26 to I-95. They enjoy stopping in Beckley, WV, which is nice, but the stop and go through Ohio drives me nuts!

We've stayed in some nice La Quinta Inns lately, so hopefully they work well for you. My former MIL travels with her Corgi, and has found the Visitors Centers at the beginning of each state very helpful. They have even made reservations for her when she couldn't get cell reception. If you are traveling alone, rest stops are the hardest as they don't allow dogs near the restrooms. Is your little guy ok with being left in the car?

DH is working in Charleston, SC and I travel back and forth between there and Florida every month. We have 2 cats who make the trip with me. I've found that hard wire cages work best for us. It gives the cats more room to move around than a carrier, and also allows more air circulation during the warmer months. Each cage is 17"x24"x19", but my cats are much bigger than your Yorkie (a 16 lb. Siamese and a 26 lb. Maine Coon). They have their own bag packed with food and water bowls, food, treats, bottled water, extra collars with tags, a few toys, and plastic bags, a towel, and wipes, just in case. I also bring one normal carrier as a back-up if needed.

Good luck with your trip. I hope you and your pooch have a great time!
Jan 5th, 2011, 07:19 PM

retired and rascat,
If you take the I-69, I-65 route you cut east on I-24 in Nashville. Then I-24 takes you back to I-75 in Chattanooga.

We have gone that route and 75. From where we are (Grand Rapids area) they are both close in mileage. I like the 69-65-24-75 route best because changing expressways seems to break up the trip. (Only 100 more mile until I hit I-24, etc) When you go on 75 you just stay on it so long.

Saying that, I do think if the weather gets nasty 75 is a better route. They close the section of I-24 (Monteagle area) if it gets icy.
Jan 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Just ordered a book that was highlighted in our local paper: I-75, 16th edition. It has info from Michigan to Florida..looked awesome! Couldn't resist..chomping at the bit to get out of this COLD!
Jan 19th, 2011, 09:31 PM

where are you staying in keys that is pet friendly
Jan 20th, 2011, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Maribethp...my ds's condo. He rents it out weekly, so we are in for 4 weeks. Dog is allowed as an owner. There are other pet friendly places. I will see if I can find the one I am thinking of.
Jan 20th, 2011, 08:53 AM

Quickest route by Mapquest is I-75 through Cincinnati all the way to I-40 near Knoxville, TN then east on I-40 to I-26 (south) East to I-95 South to the Sunshine State.
Eastern Michigan it's I-75. Western Michigan involves US 30 east through Fort Wayne, Indiana to I-75 in Ohio.
Gas is cheaper in Georgia than Florida so fill there.
When you tire of Florida check out Arizona.
Jan 21st, 2011, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi Tom, we spent 5 weeks in the Tucson area last year and the year before that we spent 3 months in southern California. Haven't been to Florida in awhile. Thanks!