Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Road Trip Ideas (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/road-trip-ideas-821606/)

Coloradoredusa Jan 13th, 2010 07:12 PM

Road Trip Ideas

Hi, I am new to the forums, but I am interested in getting some helpful information in
planning the road trip for the Family.

We are a family of 4 , me 43, wife 37 and two girls. one 8 and one 5. We live in Colorado
and are looking to road trip it to Augusta Ga. to visit the in- laws.

We want to drive the Southern route as I call it . The last time we drove that way , it was all business , no stopping. This time though we want to stop along the way and hopefully find some really nice small mom and pop places and definitely take in some BEACH TIME.. Better that the mom and pop places be on the beach!
I think I remember driving through Texas, Arkansas, Alabama , Mississippi,and Georgia. I know there is immense knowledge on this forum to help me out and I hope that you know of a place that we must see!

We will be leaving Colorado Springs on May 21 and need to be back in the Springs on June 6th.

Thank you in Advance!

Melinda2360 Jan 19th, 2010 06:38 AM

Check out the beautiful beaches on Hilton Head Island, South Carolina, just 40 minutes from Savannah, Georgia. You can ride bikes on the beach, dolpin watch and enjoy the sunshine!

suewoo Jan 20th, 2010 05:08 AM

I have driven from Charleston to Louisiana on I10. I'd recommend a side trip to Breaux Bridge La. The food anywhere in LA is great. There are some fun waterfront restaurants in Biloxi as well.

I10 goes through the FL panhandle. I didn't stop as I drove through but it's easy to get off the highway and visit the beautiful Gulf Coast.

If you take the I40 route you could stop by Graceland. I love it but I am a huge E fan.Lots of great food there too.

Have you picked a route?

longhorn55 Jan 20th, 2010 01:14 PM

It may be a little out of the way for you, but I'd recommend going to the beach at Jekyll Island, Georgia. We've been taking our kids there since they were born (and they are young adults now!) and they still love it. It's a really LAID BACK place and since it's a state park, you don't have lots of gaudy beach shops and tourist attractions. You can rent bikes and the trails go all around the island. You can minigolf at the one minigolf course on the island. You can go to the relatively small, yet fun, waterpark, Summer Waves. But most of all, you can play and swim on beaches that are almost empty of people and you don't have to worry about big waves.

RedRock Jan 21st, 2010 06:31 AM

Detour to the Panama City area and visit the beautiful white sands of the Gulf of Mexico.

Coloradoredusa Jan 21st, 2010 06:03 PM

I appreciate the help.. Our plans have changed now.. we will be staying in Galveston for a week ,on the island.. we are now looking for some side trips to do on the way back to Colorado.. any > Ideas < ... ?

Thanks!

suewoo Jan 22nd, 2010 04:28 AM

Sorry. I'm way over in SC.