Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Road Trips (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/)
-   -   Road Trip from San Antonio to Orlando (https://www.fodors.com/community/road-trips/road-trip-from-san-antonio-to-orlando-879541/)

Renee_DioneAllsup Feb 25th, 2011 01:58 PM

Road Trip from San Antonio to Orlando

I am planning a family trip to Orlando. We are going to Universal Studios, the BIG Christmas gift this year for the kids. We plan on leaving May 28th. The kids will be out of school for the summer. So the return trip date is still undecided. We are driving there and will be making a trip straight through on the way because I know the kids will be too excited for Universal, but the way back I would like to do some sightseeing. My kids have never really been out of Texas and at ages 15, 14, 8, and 5 they haven't really experienced anything outside of Texas. So I want to make this into a big trip for them to remember. On the way back I would like to stop at some fun places for them as well as the rest of us! Any suggestions would be appreciated!! We will be coming home by way of Florida, Mississippi, Louisana and then home. So if there are any great spots either through those destinations or close by since we don't have to be home at a given time, then we have plenty of time to play. So any suggestions would be appreciated! I unfortunately haven't traveled outside of Texas save for a 2 week stay in Virginia, so please help this Texas mom out!!

tomfuller Feb 25th, 2011 05:01 PM

Don't forget Disney also runs a cruise line out of Port Canaveral. The space shuttle program will likely be over by then, but take the NASA tour and see the vehicle assembly building.
On the way back out of Florida stop for at least a day just west of Pensacola at the Gulf Islands National Seashore.
Spend a night or 2 in New Orleans.
Anything you want to see or do around Houston?

VolCrew Feb 25th, 2011 05:23 PM

Hmm, I've run I-10 quite a bit and not much comes to mind, but here goes:

Before leaving eastern Florida, visit the Kennedy Space Center. Lots of educational and inspirational opportunities there.

Play on the white sand beaches of the Florida panhandle, for example, Destin. If you have been to the dirty Texas Gulf beaches with their rusty waters, the beauty of the panhandle's clear blue water will amaze you.

The National Naval Aviation Museum is educational and admission is free to boot. They have added an IMAX that might wow the kids, too. It is located in Naval Air Station (NAS) Pensacola, the home of the Blue Angels (they will be out of town, though).

For a bit of geography and history, Spanish Fort lies on the eastern shore of Mobile bay. The USS Alabama Memorial Park on the west side displays the USS Alabama battleship, the USS Drum sub and a B-52.

Bass Pro Shops: I am not a big BPS shopper, but there are five of these between SA and Orlando along I-10. They are a great place to make a driving break and see the aquariums and mounted animals, grab a bite to eat, etc. Some have a little arcade-like shooting gallery the kids might like.

Hope that helps and you make a great family memory!