Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Road Trip from New Orleans to NY (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/road-trip-from-new-orleans-to-ny-301340/)

Leanne Feb 9th, 2008 09:17 AM

Road Trip from New Orleans to NY

We will be going to the jazz festival in New Orleans this year, and want to take a road trip back home to Albany, NY. We've always wanted to travel through the southeast - we'll have about 2 weeks. Interests are very general - music, food, nature, hiking, cities, country ....

Any recommendations about routes and places to stop along the way would be wonderful!

Thanks.

Grcxx3 Feb 10th, 2008 08:53 AM

Haven't done the whole route before, so can't offer detailed info.

But if you haven't been to LA, MS before, I'd leave NO and head to St. Francisville, LA and then on to Natchez, MS and Port Gibson and Vicksburg. Great antebellum homes and Civil War sites.

Just a thought!

capxxx Feb 10th, 2008 09:37 AM

We really enjoyed visiting the Okefenoke Swamp.

bkluvsNola Feb 10th, 2008 10:31 AM

The Jazz Fest is late April/early May, so I've included some beach stops along the way (weather will be great).

We used to drive from Louisiana to Boston (my mom is from there originally) each summer. A good route would be to first head west from New Orleans to Cajun Country, touring some plantations along the MS River and touring Avery Island, St. Martinville, and other Cajun towns. Then head on up to I-10 and take it east to the MS Gulf Coast. Spend 2 nights total in Cajun Country.

At the MS Gulf Coast, do some gambling at the Beau Rivage (if that suits you), or take the ferry out to Ship Island and enjoy the pristine beach out there. Spend a night in the MS Gulf Coast region. (Total 3 nights)

Then, travel east to the Destin/Ft. Walton Beach area. Spend a day or two at some of the best beaches in America. Spend a night there. (Total 4 nights)

From there, I'd head north up to Atlanta. Go to a Braves game, tour the aquarium, visit the CNN Center and tour underground Atlanta, spend two nights there (Total: 6 nights).

Then, I'd head up to the mountains of North Carolina. Spend the next two nights in Asheville, NC, and hike in the Smoky Mountains. (Total: 8 nights).

Then, I'd head on down to Charleston, SC. This is not to be missed. Spend two nights there, touring the historic city. (Total: 10 nights).

From there, I'd make my way to the Outer Banks of NC, and stay a night there. (Total: 11 nights)

From there, drive on back and pass through Washington, DC. Tour that if you haven't (some people call it the South, some don't, but if you haven't toured DC, you need to do it). Spend two nights there. (Total: 13 nights).

Drive on back to Albany.

This allows you to visit the key Southern cities, allows you to sample the coast and the mountains, and meanders in a general northern way from New Orleans.

Enjoy!

hockeyfan Feb 11th, 2008 08:52 AM

Not sure about your budget, but in the Destin/Ft. Walton area of the Florida Gulf Coast, the beaches of 30A (the coastal road) are beautiful. I would suggest staying at Seaside or Rosemary Beach.