Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Road trip from Monterey to Mamoth Lakes, then up 395 to Susanville with infant

Aug 25th, 2004, 02:41 PM
L
Original Poster

We will be taking a road trip with an infant and I want to be able to stop along the way to let her out of her carseat and play. I will tell you the towns we will pass through and hopefully get some input to the good infant parks along the way

Good infant parks are those with shade, fenced off to keep animals from using as toillette, some device with stairs and small slide. Swings.

It would be a huge help because road trips with infants are haaaarrrrddddd.

Our route is all in California along 152, then the county roads in Madera county from Chowchilla to coarsegold, then to Yosemite over Tioga pass, then to June lake, then all the way up 395 to Suzanville, then to Lake Almanor.

The specific towns I was thinking of are:

Los Banos
Chowchilla-have info
Hensley Lake
Coarsegold
Oakhurst
Fishcamp
Mammoth lakes
Gardenville Ranchos
Carson City-have info
Doyle or Milford
Susanville

I choose these towns because they are a certain distance apart. But if you know of anything else, please do not hesitate.
Aug 25th, 2004, 07:22 PM

I know there is a park in Los Banos, that we pass all the time. We stopped there on a field trip with a few hundred elementary school children.

In Fish Camp, it would be fun if you could take a ride on the Logger. It's about a 40 minute train ride through the mountains and great fun.

I can't think of any parks in Coarsegold or Oakhurst right off hand. There's a place to stop in Coarsegold to pan for "gold" that's fun, but no park so to speak. Good Luck! ***kim***
Aug 25th, 2004, 08:54 PM

Some of these are barely villages let alone towns. There are few if any fenced parks in most of those places. There are a couple of city parks in Carson City - but I wouldn't seek them out. Mountain towns tend not to have fenced off parks/playgrounds.
Aug 26th, 2004, 07:10 AM
L
Original Poster

Yes

this is the kind of helpful information that I was hoping to get, to narrow my search and keep the phone bill down from calling all the chamber of commerce offices.

Please keep it coming.

L
Aug 26th, 2004, 07:44 AM

You may want to consider a stop in Bass Lake, at the Pines Resort for lunch. They have a nice bar & grill there with good food and beautiful views of the lake. There's plenty of room for your little one to walk around there. www.bassslake.com ***kim***