Road trip from Los Angeles to Mendocino

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My adult daughter and I are thinking about driving from LA where we live up the coast all the way to Mendocino. We want to stay in B&Bs and/or anything that is not a chain-type hotel. We love hiking and outdoor excursions as well as art exhibits. We want to schedule some tours and also have unscheduled time. We love the countryside and will avoid any time in larger cities. Does anyone have any suggestions of where to start! Is there a book or site we could use as a starting point.
As I know this is a very long journey from LA to Mendocino we would consider narrowing it down a bit.
All ideas/suggestions are welcomed and will be very much appreciated!
Thank you very much, Susan
Old Mar 9th, 2015, 04:20 PM

How many days did you plan on taking for the drive? Is there a budget?

If you just want to split it in half with one stop, then Pacific Grove or Carmel might work. Lots of little B&Bs and inns.

I like to stay in the historic rooms at Asilomar but there are lots of other options.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input mlgb. We will be going for about 14 days and we'll be traveling in early October. We like the colder months and it is the time I am able to travel.
We want to stop along the way in various places.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 08:39 AM
Original Poster

PS not concerned with the budget really; however, not into expensive 5 star hotels either! We are taking this trip and have put off a trip to Spain until next year because of budget. Traveling by car and staying in B&Bs and non-chain hotels etc. will be much less than a trip to Spain.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 09:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The wine country north of Santa Barbara is nice in October, maybe Ballard Inn or a B&B near Los Olivos.

Consider Asuncion Ridge Vineyards Inn or Wild Coyote B&B, these two are in Paso Robles.

Watch your drive times up through the Silicon Valley and San Francisco, same hours that you would advise people to avoid around L.A.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 09:47 AM

For Mendocino, check out the Glendeven Inn, a really pleasant place to stay. Just across the road is a trail that leads out to the ocean, and you will see assorted wildlife along the way.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 12:33 PM

When I have traveled with a college friend we look for places with two queens or doubles. You may find many of the typical winery area B&Bs have only single King or Queen bedded rooms. Of course you could always book two rooms.

In Cambria we have stayed at Cambria Pines in the fireplace rooms.
Old Mar 10th, 2015, 01:28 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
w/ two weeks you can do it all -- Santa Barbara, Big Sur/Carmel/Monterey, the Marin/Sonoma coast, Mendocino and the Redwoods.

October is great on the coast. If you can take this trip in Late Sept/early Oct you will likely have the best weather of the entire year from Pismo Beach all the way to Redwoods National Park.

Check out the Little River Inn -- amazing views and large rooms w/ two queens and balconies

http://www.littleriverinn.com
Old Mar 11th, 2015, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your info and suggestions. With plenty of time to plan -- if you think of anything else - anyone - please don't hesitate to write in.
My very best to all,
Susan
Old Mar 13th, 2015, 11:12 AM

I would also suggest you check out vacation rentals by owner. Lovely choices and places to stay. Gives you the option of fixing some of your own meals if you want, and more of a "I live here" experience. Check out www.vrbo.com/Mendocino or Healdsburg, or what ever city you'd like to stay in.