Reload this Page >

road trip from Illinois to NY city, Cape Cod, and Boston

Old Mar 30th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
My family of 5 (kids 14,12,9) will be driving to New York city, Cape Cod, and finally Boston before we head back home to Illinois In July. We are trying to drive all the way to NY in one day!!

1) I was hoping to stop in Pennsylvania to see Fallingwater for a break in the drive, but its closed the day we will be driving. Any suggestions for quick detour in Pennsylvania? We will be going through Harrisburg on I76/78.

2) Planning on staying in Midtown, NY for 2 days. Going to the top of the Rock on Thursday and Statue of Liberty tour on Friday. No crown tickets available Any other suggestions for such a short trip?

3) Staying in Chatham, Cape Cod from Sat - Sat. First week of July.

4) Lastly, heading up to Boston for several days before going back home. Not sure where to stay there? Most hotels seem very pricey! Would like to keep the rate under $300 a night. Any suggestions on things not to miss?

I appreciate your input very much!!

Kathy
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 09:04 AM

1) Flight 93 Memorial is right off Turnpike (76) in Somerset, PA.

2) Highline, a Museum, Broadway Show, Central Park. Do you have your hotel in NYC?

3) Chatham: Provincetown Dune Buggy Ride, bike through the National Seashore.

4) Can't give advise on hotel but while there go to the Aquarium and walk the Freedom Trail.
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 09:28 AM
Original Poster

I'm looking at hotels now In New York. Its tough to find in my budget because of having to park our car!
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 09:53 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure you want to drive your own car into NYC (or Boston)?
I used to live in central PA. It was a long enough days drive to South Bend Indiana. Don't even try to drive from anywhere in Illinois to NYC in 1 day.
Calculate what it will cost to park in both cities and compare to taking Amtrak to Pittsburgh (Capitol Limited) or to Erie (Lake Shore Limited).
While in Boston be sure to see the Museum of Science. https://www.mos.org/
They have 2 Van deGraff generators made by Mr. Van deGraff.
In the exhibition a man stands inside a steel cage with his hand on the bars. They then fire lightning to the cage from one of the generators.
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 10:03 AM

sillybilly, Once you have a hotel in NY, look for a parking garage that is near your lodging, DS used one that was a short walk from his hotel and was $35 per day, which was quite a bit less than the hotel charge.
Old Mar 30th, 2017, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

I just booked a hotel in Times Square called The Time New York. $430 per night and that includes the taxes and fees! Our parking will cost an extra $35 per night. Oh well!! It's New York City!! On to Boston
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 09:38 AM

NYC - I know you booked your hotel. Consider driving to CT, parking your car and taking a commuter train into NYC. You're not going to drive around in the city once you're there, and this prevents having to worry about traffic when leaving the city. Just take the train back to CT and drive to the Cape. Speaking of which, if you leave NYC Saturday morning this will work out well - you do not want to try the cross the bridge onto the Cape Friday evening or Saturday morning. During that time of year you'll add on an easy 1-2 hours sitting in traffic if you do so. In Boston my favorite hotel is the Sheraton on Dalton street. Great access to the prudential center and a T stop, walking distance to Fenway. Take the T to the science museum. Walk the freedom trail, starting in Boston Common and ending at Faneuil Hall.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 10:54 AM

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts
That sounds like a good idea capecod73. Mystic CT is worth a visit.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 03:17 PM

Received 9 Likes on 1 Post
Try the Hotel Edison near Times Square. Much better pricing unless your $430 is including both nights and more than one room. While at the Statue of Liberty consider going to Ellis Island,

Also in Boston go to Charlestown to the ship Constitution and Bunker Hill. If the ship is open it is great for kids as is climbing Bunker Hill. Also go to North End to Paul Revere' House and eat Italian food. These are things the kids would have studied in school and be meaningful. IMO there are aquariums in many cities. There's a lot more if you're interested. Also try to take in a concert on the esplanade. A true Boston type event as well as a baseball game at Fenway Park.
Old Apr 2nd, 2017, 07:01 PM
cw

With 5 of you in Boston, you might try Airbnb for your days. Pay close attention to locations, and run them by us if you want. I'm not sure that all hotels will accept 5 in a room, but check out The Revere Hotel, which has larger rooms than many other hotels.

Lastminutetravel.com and travelzoo.com often have good deals for Boston.
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the info! I will look into the CT parking option. Not sure what to do with all the luggage we'll have? Not really wanting to leave all that stuff in the car at a train station. I might just pay the parking in NY for the ease of it. Thanks capecod73!! I can't wait to stop in Mystic on the way!! One of my favorite movies!! We should get into Cape Cod after 3 or 4. I reserved a suite in Boston at the Parker house. Got a great rate of 277 a night, plus 46 bucks a night for parking! The parking stinks, but looking at private garage options around Boston, the price isn't that different. I am just getting started looking at our sight seeing options. Lots to see and do!! I was trying to book a night in Plymouth on the Saturday we're leaving the Cape, but nothing is available, so we are going to stop in Plymouth to check it out, but keep driving north to Salem for the night. Check out the history in that area too before heading back to Boston on Sunday afternoon for 4 days. Thanks everyone!!

K
Old Apr 5th, 2017, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

The Hotel Edison looks very nice. The rate would be cheaper, but I would pay more for parking. So, I think I'll stay where I'm at. Thank you!!