Road Trip from Boston to Maine

Apr 29th, 2011, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Road Trip from Boston to Maine

Hi

My friend and I are planning a roadtrip from Boston to Maine. We are in our early 40s. We are flying into Boston, plan to explore Boston using subway and then rent a car and drive to Maine. We are first-timer to both states. We are open to suggestions, such as driving route, lodging, food etc.... we are on budget, so nothing too extragavant.... We will make an exception to splurge on one/two things that you think are worth spending money on. We have about 2-3 days for this roadtrip.

Thanks
Apr 29th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Oh.... our trip on the first week-end in May.
Apr 29th, 2011, 01:14 PM

North of Portland on I-95 be sure to stop at the L.L. Bean store. In addition to all the sporting goods, they have training and can refer you to guides. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L.L.Bean
They are in Freeport Maine.
Apr 29th, 2011, 03:18 PM

Um, if you mean next week Maine is likely to be quite chilly. Also do you mean 2/3 days overall - for Boston and a road trip to Maine and back? That's a lot of territory to cover. You really need 3/4 days just to see boston and the immediate surroundings.
Apr 29th, 2011, 03:33 PM

I assume you mean two to three days in addition to Boston? How many days in Boston? If you leave Boston in the morning I would drive I-95 as far as York Maine and then get off the high way and work your way up on Rt 1 (and Rt 1A). First you'll come to Cape Neddick (Nubble Light). North of that you'll come to Ogunquit, a nice town with an approximately mile long walk along the ocean. North of that is Kennebunkport - another "quintessential" Maine ocean front town. After that comes Portland - the downtown section is quite nice and Portland Head Light is one of the best lighthouses on the whole coast. If you google Maine lighthouses you'll find directions to many of them. North of Portland the coast gets more rugged and becomes a series of peninsulas that you have to leave Rt 1 to explore. Boothbay Harbor and Tenants Harbor are nice. Rockland and Camden are also definitely worth stopping at. If you only have two days that would be as far as I'd go - spending the night there and exploring some of the areas I mention on the way up, others on the way back down. If you have three full days you could get on the interstate and go as far as Acadia but then you might want to skip some of the places I mention.

If you mean you only have two to three days total including Boston I'd only go as far as Portland. Two nights Boston, one in Portland - about a day and a half each. I hope you mean you have a few days in Boston plus two to three in Maine.

Here are some photos of the areas I mentioned - http://www.pbase.com/annforcier/new_england
Apr 29th, 2011, 04:11 PM
Original Poster

We are spending about 4 days in Boston & have 3 days for Maine.

Thanks
Apr 30th, 2011, 02:29 AM

*ahem* NH is between MA and ME, Portsmouth NH is lovely this time of year. Flowering shrubs are blooming. Strawbery Banke is there for history lovers. Nice downtown walking area plus an area of boutique shops. Our favorite drive is Rt 1B starting from Strawbery Banke out thru Newcastle. At one point on a causeway you can see the old Navy prison in Kittery ME in one direction and the beautiful Wenworth Hotel in the other. Very old homes plus an area of very upscale closer to the hotel. The hwy along the coast, specificially Rye is lovely, many huge mansions.

Across the bridge from Portsmouth is Kittery ME. Rt 1 is the outlet mall section but if you follow the signs to Kittery Point it's another pretty drive.

Agree Marginal Way in Ogunquit is one of the nicest walks along the cliffs. You might consider overnighting in Portland because there are so many great restaurants and interesting shops in the Old Port area. If weather is good consider a ride around Casco Bay on the mail boat.

Rockland is another 2 hours north but I agree with above poster that it's an area you want to explore. Farnsworth Art Museum, Owls Head Transportation Museum and great short hike to Owl's Head Light (nice view from the lighthouse). Camden is another place not to miss. Take auto road up Mt Battie, walk around down town. Very beautiful harbor. There's quite a few hotels/motels in the Brunswick area because it's a college town. If your time in ME includes a weekend, one of the good lobster shacks should be open. Check Five Islands Lobster (but eating is on outdoor picnic tables). If you drive out thru Harpswell, it's very rural and you could aim for lunch at the Dolphin Bay Marina or Estes. Both are on the water but casual places with indoor seating. Dolphin Bay has a great reputation for chowder and muffins.

The Sea Basket in Wiscasset has great seafood in a casual, family atmosphere. It's right on Rt 1. If your visit includes a Saturday night, check the local papers for any church or benefit suppers. We got a great deal on a lobster dinner for the volunteer FD. Also check Chowhound.com for recommendations for convenience stores and budget places for great lunches. If you aren't dieting, try whoopie pies. In Portland, MDI ice cream in the Old Port area has very unusual flavors. Walk a little further for a tiny park where you can sit and enjoy.