Road Trip: Chicago to S. Carolina

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - we're driving to and from Charleston, SC in June from Chicago and we are looking for recommendations of places to stop along the way. I'm specifically interested in the Smokey Mountains as we will probably camp there one night on the return trip since we'll have more time. Also like to hear about any great microbreweries worth checking out or any other scenic locations worth seeing. We'll be driving through Indiana, Kentucky, Tennessee, NC and SC. Thanks!
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 09:11 AM

You might enjoy the Shaker village in Kentucky-Pleasant Hill. There are microbreweries in Asheville, I'm sure.
Depending on what you really want to do and see, you might go from Indy to Cincy. Then south on i75 to Knoxville through Lexington and the horse country. Pleasant Hill is a bit west of Lex.
You could spend your first night in Ashville probably, if you don't sightsee. Ashville is about a 6 hour drive to Charleston.
How much time total are you taking?
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! The way there we're pretty much driving straight through on Monday but stopping for breaks (we're staying the week at a resort outside Charleston). However, on the way back we have two extra days of driving (Sat-Mon).
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 10:48 AM

I'll be the first one to admit. Gatlinburg (the town) is cheesy, think Wisconsin Dells, but the surrounding area is just beautiful. National Park, mountains, camping, mountain cabins, etc...

Gatlinburg, TN is my suggestion. Many moons ago my wife and I stopped there on the way back to Chicago from Hilton Head Island, SC.
Old Mar 23rd, 2010, 07:37 PM

Not sure of your route but Mammoth Cave NP is awesome. It is not a pretty cave, it is just amazing at how big and long it is. It is in Ky somewhat near Bowling Green. Not sure of your route.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:00 AM

That is a pretty long drive in one day. It might be close to ONE day!!
I don't have a map in front of me, but if you can pick up Route 441 somewhere in SC you can drive through SMNP and have a pleasant drive. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are to be avoided, as in drive straight through.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:05 AM

Actually, I redid my calculations of driving, and I might suggest you bypass Kentucky. I drive from Charlotte to Dayton regularly and can do it in 8 hours (550 miles) pretty easily--no shopping. I have also driven it often on I75, but find I77 a bit quicker. You might like to consider I70 from Indy to Columbus, south on Route 23 to Route 52 along the River to Charleston WVA. South on I77 to Charlotte/Columbia and Charleston--3.5 hours from Charlotte.
The non-interstate roads in Ohio are very open 4 lane highways.
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 05:32 AM
cd

On the way home you might enjoy taking a couple tours on the Bourbon Trail, we enjoyed the Heaven Hill and Maker's Mark the most of the ones we toured. They both have tasting rooms which blew us away...bourbon tasting rooms, go figure! It would take a day to take two tours and have a nice dinner.
http://kybourbontrail.com/index.php/hospitality/
Old Mar 24th, 2010, 12:47 PM

Actually on the way home you might really enjoy staying in Ashville for a day--maybe easier than the Park. Lots going on.