Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

San Francisco getaway over Easter Weekend...does the city shut down that weekend?

San Francisco getaway over Easter Weekend...does the city shut down that weekend?

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've found a good deal for a San Fran escape for 4 days over easter weekend. I am concerned though that many shops, businesses, attractions might be closed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:11 PM

I don't think The City Ever could be accused of "shutting down." That said, I'm sure some locals will comment for you and give specifics. Maybe some of the tours closed on the Sunday?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:35 PM
Original Poster

Your right! I guess I am wondering if Easter Weekend is the best time to go? We enjoy shopping, eating out, going to pubs, walking, hiking etc. Do the tour boats, shops/resturants close on Good Friday, Easter Sunday and Easter Monday or do they remain open on some/all days? I also did a bit of research and see that there is an Easter parade downtown? Any advice is welcome!
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:58 PM

I live in the Bay area, and have never found there to be any slowdown in city activities over Easter weekend. You can check specifics by going to citysearch.com or sfgate.com. If anything, the city has an interesting Easter tradition by going to Glide Memorial Church, an activist, community-based church that could bring a special flair to an Easter service. Don't hesitate to come here during Easter.

Enjoy
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:07 PM

Actually orangeboy we have sometimes gone to SF for Easter Sunday. We have enjoyed the parks, had a beautiful dinner etc. If the weather is spring like it is very beautiful.

And if you are inclined for Easter church service you will find quite a selection.

Another beautiful Easter service is at Grace Catherdral on Nob Hill.

BTW, we do not have Easter Monday. Monday is just a "normal work day"

I do not believe you will find the stores open (Macy's, Nordstroms etc.) but that is just for Easter Sunday.

You should have a beautiful time. In fact you are getting me thinking of maybe going to SF Easter Day!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We will be in SF for Easter and all of the tours I checked out were up and running. Chinatown has tours operating and Alcatraz as well. We plan on having a fun filled time on Easter!See you in SF!
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 05:43 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
One more thing orangeboy and loveitaly:Hilton is running a special of net direct rates of 111.00 per night. I think that is a pretty good rate.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 09:09 AM

Hi girlonthego, That Hilton price is great! Not my absolute favorite hotel but for that price it would be! Thank you. Have a good week.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 02:31 AM

orangeboy, Just returned from a week in San Fran. Got a tip on a restaurant in China Town from another Fodorite called Sam Wo's. We tried it good food cheap. Very rudimentary but worth a stop for lunch.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:17 AM

I agree with Grace Cathedral. You might(if this is at all relevant) consider St. Peters and Paul's in North Beach.

Old Mar 1st, 2005, 10:32 AM

PamSF, yes, StPeters and Paul's in North Beach is so beautiful. Do not know about you but it always makes me feel like I am in Italy.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 11:41 AM
SAB

I doubt that Macy's or Nordstrom's will be closed on Easter Sunday, in fact Macy's annual Flower Show starts on the 18th and will probably still be up at Easter.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 03:15 PM

Some places (very few) do close for easter, so call ahead. All major museums, movies, stores, restaurants will be opened. Also call ahead for good friday.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much everyone for your replies. We found a better deal on air so now we arrive on Easter Sunday and stay until Friday, April 1st. This is our first time so I believe we will spend Sun-Wed in San Francisco proper and maybe save Thursday-Friday for a day/overnight trip to....? Any suggestions?