Road trip between Dallas and Miami

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2006, 08:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning on driving between Dallas and Miami in January - we have just over one week and would like to keep mostly to back roads and small towns. Any advice on routes, must sees, small hotels and cafes would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:07 AM

It's 1400 miles from Dallas to Miami--you're spending 5-6 days just going there and coming back. How much time do you want to spend in Miami?
Old Oct 28th, 2006, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Hi, We are just driving one way and I don't really care if we spend any time in Miami - we aren't really that interested in the city.
Old Oct 30th, 2006, 06:11 PM

Forgive me....but are you out of your minds??????

This is NOT an overly interesting route....been there done that route a number of times OUT OF NECESSITY....BORING and L O N G !!!!

Unless you are looking to punish your partner, I would suggest you rethink this one.

If you are hellbent, then at least fly to New Orleans, and cut the torture to a minimum. At least you can stop and see some plantations in the N.O/Natchez area, and then suffer a 18 hour drive to south florida and then see some SEMI interesting sights from Miami to the Keys.

And remember....you are talking JANUARY...ie WINTER in TEXAS. at least in the spring time, you have the Texas spring flowers along the highway to help pass the AGONIZING drive time.

GOD I can feel the agony now and it has been 2 years since I did that trip.....and did you say you want to drive back too???

Is this a joke question?? Where is the camera???
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 04:49 AM

Drop south out of big "D" and try to take US-90/98 as close as possible. It will not be the most opportune time since even the Gulf Coast will be in the throws of winter. As far as Florida you can do the east coast and follow A1A/US-1 or on the west side US-19. Get a good set of detailed maps for planning. We use AAA maps and along with their Tour Books we always find interesting things to do and see. Most of all stay off the Interstate if you want to see anything at all.

http://www.us-highways.com/
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 06:51 AM

Maybe I am just a road trip type of guy but I am not near as negative as others on this trip.

I would make sure and get some authentic cajun food in Louisiana, maybe tour the tabassco factory. Swing down to New Orleans and the gulf Miss area to see what Katrina and Rita did. Mosey through southern Alabama...there must be something interesting in the neighborhood. Once I hit Florida, I would hotfoot it to Miami perhaps with a stop at an orange/grapefruit farm stand on the way.

Should be able to find a bbq place in Texas early on. Even Orange, Beaumont, Lake Charles may be interesting to those who have never been.

Disclaimer: The above comes from a guy who has been immensley pleased to drive through Iowa's corn fields from West to East after suffering through most of Nebraskas nothingness. Try to find the positive!
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 07:15 AM

placeu2

I think we saw you once or twice in our back road travels. It gets lonesome out there on the highways and byways of America. I believe in what Charles Kuralt said when it comes to driving from coast to coast on the "I" highways and seeing nothing.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 07:53 AM

Bellingrath Gardens in Mobile AL might still have their Christmas lights which are supposed to be magnificant at night. The gardens are lovely during the day, any season.

http://www.bellingrath.org/
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 08:14 AM

It was all in fun my dear man....I used to like road trips myself.

Too bad u can't do this in the spring...the wildflowers along the highway in Texas are spectacular!