Go Back  Fodor's Forum > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page > Road Trip Aug 2010; RI, ME, Maritimes
Notices

Road Trip Aug 2010; RI, ME, Maritimes

May 5th, 2010, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

Road Trip Aug 2010; RI, ME, Maritimes

Hi;
I am from Australia and am taking a Nth American trip in August, with 16 days, starting from NYC to see the coast of Maine, Nova Scotia and PEI and get to Rochester NY to drop the car off and fly out.

I am looking at somthing like the following day by day sched.
1. NYC to Providence, RI by Amtrak. Pickup rental car.
2. RI via Plymouth to Portland, ME
3. Wiscasset, Boothbay Hbr to Port Clyde
4 Ferry to Monhegan Is from Port Clyde, Rockland, Rockport, Camden
5-6 Bar Harbor, Acadian Nat Pk,
7. Saint John, NB ferry to Digby NS, Lunenburg
8. Mahone Bay, Peggy's Cove, Halifax
9-10 Cabot Trail, Cape Breton
11 PEI
12 PEI to Moncton, NB
13-16. Gaspe to Rochester, NY

I realise it is a big rush, but it is my only opportunity to see these areas. We are two adults in our 50's, I am used to driving long distances. We prefer seascapes, scenery, islands, over cities and shopping etc.

I figure much in these areas will be similar. Any suggestions what could be dropped and what is best kept?

Should we forget Boothbay? I am happy just to focus on the Acadian Nat Park and not spend more than an evening in Bar Harbor, or is it better to forget that as well and put more time into Cape Breton etc. in Nova Scotia?

I've thought about including Newfoundland, and cutting out some other areas. But even though I hear it is the most beautiful of all these areas I am it sounds a step too far to fit it in, especially with so much time getting there and back by ferry.

Any comments, recommendation are much appreciated. I doubt I will get the opportunity to get back to Maine and the Maritimes again, so I am working hard to plan the best trip I can do in the time.

Thanks in advance,
Phil
May 5th, 2010, 11:15 AM

Boothbay Harbor is very touristy and struck me as just a bunch of places to buy stuff. I'd skip it, and instead go to Pemaquid Point.
May 31st, 2010, 06:08 AM

Your plan to see Nova Scotia in 3 days is pretty rushed. I would consider deleting the Cape Breton part of the tour, not because it is not worth seeing, but because it is a lot of driving and you cannot do it justice in that time frame. I would do Lunenburg and Mahone Bay and then head to PEI from there . If you found you had some time before PEI I would stop in Halfax after leaving Lunenburg for some time spent on the waterfront, browse the shops there, and maybe have a nice meal at a seafood restaurant right on the dock. Or on your way back from Lunenburg stop at Peggys Cove instead of Halifax. The scenery here is beautiful, rugged (and dangerous too so don't get too close to the waters edge) and you can walk on the rocks, take pictures, and have a snack at the gift shop.

These scenarios make more sense than just driving, and driving all day to get to Cape Breton and then not really spending any time to explore the area. Save that area for the next time you visit and do Newfoundland at the same time.
May 31st, 2010, 12:50 PM

We're "country mice" and have always loved quiet, scenic places vs cities. We're now retired here in Vermont, and we ADORE our adopted state, but we have taken many vacations to Maine and NB. These days, we have been renting a cottage during our anniversary week in Georgetown, ME, right on the coast, not far from Bath. Very nice, very quiet, and plenty of delicious fresh seafood!

We've never made it to NS, but we have very much enjoyed NB a few times, especially Fundy. I may be wrong (someone correct me please, if I am!) but I do not think there IS a ferry any more between NB and NS. You would have to drive "up and around" in NB to get over there.

Also, Newfoundland would no doubt be gorgeous, but is also a long way to drive.

I suggest you check the web sites for the areas you plan to visit, and perhaps request their "packages" of information and maps, though it is questionable whether or not their replies would get back to you in that amount of time. (Perhaps they can airmail them to you for a fee?)

Monhegan I. MAY be lovely, but may not be, too, depending on the fog that day! The boat ride could be enjoyable anyway, of course.

Port Clyde, Rockland, Rockport, and Camden are very scenic. We once took a 2-hour ride out on a small sail boat in Camden and loved it. There was also a "sunset cruise" -- from Port Clyde, as I recall -- and that was great. We got to watch the moon come up and saw several lighthouses come on, etc.

Some advice: If you take ANY boat rides, plan on it getting a lot colder on the water than it was even just a few miles back on shore, at any time of day!

Hopefully, folks along the Maine coast can fill in the blanks.

Enjoy!

Vermonter

Search this Thread