Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Gainesville FL - need hotel help for NCAA baseball tourney

Old Jun 3rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Super Regional being hosted by UF at McKethan stadium this weekend - how important is staying as close as possible to the campus? I have a reservation at the Holiday Inn University which looks to be the closest, but is it within walking distance of the baseball stadium? Google maps says 1.1 miles.

If I stay farther out and drive to the stadium, is there parking within a reasonable distance? I prefer to stay at Homewood Suites, Springhill Suites, Residence Inn type properties, but I would sacrifice the comfort of the increased space and kitchen facilities if staying at the Holiday Inn would be easier access to the games.

Thanks for any assistance any UF fans or Gainesville residents can provide.
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

topping
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:01 AM

I would recommend staying elsewhere and driving to the stadium. Parking should not be too much of a problem and you should be able to get a spot within a half mile at the most. The Holiday Inn is an older facility and gets very mixed reviews on sites such as Trip Advisor. We are football season ticket holders and always stay at one of the hotels off Archer Road right off the interstate. I would recommend Homewood Suites, Springhill Suites, Country Inn & Suites or Hampton Inn. The drive to the stadium is about 10 to 15 minutes depending on traffic. I don't recommend the Residence Inn on 13th Street. We are not able to go this weekend so I am very jealous! Have fun and Go Gators!
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks gatorlover21 - exactly the kind of information I needed. I also made a reservation at Homewood Suites, so I will cancel the Holiday Inn.

Looking forward to the games but not the nine hour drive to get there. It is my school's first trip to a super regional in the 63 year history of our baseball program, so we wouldn't dare miss it. Go Eagles Go!
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 11:22 AM

Good hotel choice - Homewood Suites is our number one. You didn't ask but our favorites for food are Copper Monkey and The Swamp (casual college hang-outs); Bistro 1245 (inventive sandwiches and entrees); and Mark's Prime, Paramount and Emiliano's for more upscale dining. Hope you enjoy Gainesville, we always do!
Old Jun 4th, 2009, 04:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, I'm always open to dining recs. It will be the casual places for us as we are packing for baseball games only, no dress clothes included!