Road to Seward from Anchorage

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read the road is very dangerous. Is it really that bad?
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:21 PM

Hundreds of thousands of people use it every year without problems. There is an element of danger probably greater than many other roads because it is often single-lane in each direction and people get impatient so the accident rate is greater than it might otherwise be. Nojnetheless, I have driven it dozens of times over the years and cannot recall ever seeing an accident.

In the winter, there is also some danger of avalanche but the state roads people watch that closelyI would guess one of the larger hazards might be hitting a moose or other wildlife.

Drive defensively and intelligently and you should be fine.
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 06:44 PM

I've driven this maybe a dozen times, once in the winter, the rest in the early fall, and I can't remember even seeing an accident, much less feeling threatened. It's curvy in Turnagain arm and there's a moderate amount of traffic, but compared to many roads in heavily populated urban areas of the lower 48 it seemed safe enough.

Maybe someone was trying to steer you toward taking the train or paying for a shuttle?
Old Apr 24th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Thank's for the quick responce. I feel much better. I would like to do the train one way but have a rental car for two weeks. I love nature and can hardley wait for June 15th to arrive. I have been planning the trip since 07.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 11:44 AM

The road is not "dangerous" but you can NOT be tight on time, and don't cut your time so close you have estimated 65mph to get where you have to be.
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 12:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
This drive is breathtaking!! As BQ said, allow plenty of time. If a drive normally takes 1 hr. on the free way, double the time for the same distance in Alaska.

Be sure to report back!!
Old May 5th, 2010, 07:54 AM

It's not the 'road' which is dangerous, despite there being areas where there is no shoulder to get out of the way.

14 people were killed on the Seward Highway last year.

The problem is drunks, people who stayed up all night fishing then fell asleep driving, reckless drivers, people who get impatient and pass when they shouldn't.

We've driven that highway for 28 years. Several times on Friday evening or Sunday afternoon, YES, we have been held up for hours by wrecks.

PS -- The train is state owned. No one up here gets anything out of pushing you to ride it.

I would say yes, drive the road, but do it when you are fresh, exercise caution for the other guy, and maybe time your trip to avoid the Friday night and Sunday afternoon congestion.

It's a beautiful 3-hour drive even if you don't go in to Girdwood or somewhere to eat. I've seen tourists who think they are going to drive all the way from Seward to Denali in a day. No way!