Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Road to Hana - Does the road go completely around Maui?

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 05:57 AM
Natalie

I read in a guide book that the unpaved portion of the road ( around the other side of Haleakala) has been improved. Supposedly, it is passable by a two wheel drive car. Has anyone attempted this lately?

Old Mar 8th, 1999, 06:41 AM
Margaret

Just got back from Maui yesterday and had an excellent time. We took a tour with the Polynesian Adventure Company that took us to Hana, seven sacred pools and around the unpaved road of Haleakala. It cost about $60.00 and included a buffet lunch in Hana. I would not advise driving your 2 wheel car on the unpaved side of Haleakala since it will not be covered by your rental car insurance policy and the road is very rough and full of pot holes. In some places it is only one lane at best. The tour operator said that if your car breaks down it might be several hours before anyone comes to your aid. So my advise is if you want to see the rough side of Haleakala go on a tour and leaving the driving to the tour operator. Have a great time.

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 06:29 AM
Dick

My wife and I have driven all the way around...in a rental car and had no problem(althought it was a couple of years ago))

My advice..

1. You MUST check with the rangers at the pools...they will tell you of the condition of the road beyond...and advise of any road problems.

2. Drive slowly...you will encounter poor roads,,,and probably cows crossing the road.

3. Allow plenty of time to complete the drive before it gets dark. At night, it will be difficult to follow the road.

It is definitely worth the trip......you go through rain forest to get to Hana and then you encounter volcanic desert beyond the pools.

As an added thought. My wife and I stopped at a tropical flower grower on the way to HAna and sent flowers to oursleves...scheduled to arrive...the week we returned home as reminder of our trip.

Good luck

Old Mar 11th, 1999, 08:53 AM
pthompson

Natalie

My husband and I visited Maui last August. We can very close to completing the Road to Hana with our rental car (going completly around). We must have turned several times because we were unsure whether or not we could do it. We did see several cars that did not turn around. When we got back to the hotel we asked about it and they said that you could go completly around, but you will also notice in your rental statement that you shouldn't do this.

Do the trip on your own time and not via a tour, go at your own pace and take in all the beauty.

If you do go completely around be sure to visit Tedeschi Vineyards for winetasting. They have an excellent champagne that you can purchase as well.

Old Mar 28th, 1999, 06:16 PM
lynn.chamberlin

My husband and I took the road to Hana and I would recommend anyone who gets motion sickness to consider if the ride is worth it or not. I lost count of the number of times I had him pull over to the side of the road and just stop so I could begin to feel human again. Otherwise, it's a pretty ride. Not much to do when you get to Hana.