road food - la to vegas

Search

road food - la to vegas

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
road food - la to vegas

We will be driving from LA to Vegas mid-April. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions for can't-miss food places to stop along the way. Anything unique, regional, a little strange, etc... Let me know if there is anything off the beaten path! Thanks.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:27 AM

Hi Michlvis,

Have you done this drive before? Don't stop!
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:32 AM

For the love of god don't get off the beaten path...
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:46 AM

The first two responses, while harsh, appear to be good advice. We drive to Vegas frequently, though come over Tehachipi's from Bakersfield.
We have stopped at many places along the route as we continue to seek a good (well, even mediocre) meal of anykind. We continue to be dissappointed, and even, grossed out.
However, here is a few "passable" places depending on your tolerance for quality of food and level of service.
Peggy Sue's, just east of Barstow. A 50's theme with good old truck stop food. Burgers were ok, the milk shakes were great. Every item on the menu is a strong shot of cholesteral.I thought it fun, my wife will not stop there again.
Denny's in Baker. Say what you will about Denny's, but at least you know what you are going to get.
Prim: none worth stopping at.
You probably don't go through Kramer Junction, 395 and 158. But if you did, you can't go wrong with the hot dogs at the Pilot service station. Two hot dogs, two med drinks under $5.
You say "a little strange.." In Baker is the "Mad Greek." Have not stopped there, but the billboards qualify it as perhaps, strange.
Now, if some one could tell me where you can find a decent rest room on this route, I would be obliged. With all the desert, not a problem for me, but my wife is disgusted at every stop.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 11:56 AM
TahitiTams

Whatever you do..Do not get off the beaten path to Vegas!
Stop at the In & Out in Barstow and gas up if needed and have a double double and then head back on the highway..they have closed a lane from Baker to Vegas and I hear it is brutal..

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 12:06 PM

The most famous eatery on this route is Mad Greek's Diner in Baker. I tried it once, and it's pretty good.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:25 PM

We have yet to find any place where we look forward to eating. The Mad Greek's Diner is "the" place to stop and "pretty good" is an apt description of the place.

A few years ago we had a very unpleasant experience at the Denny's in Baker.

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:46 PM

Boy, I take this drive at least twice a year. Maybe I should be packing heat next time.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 01:53 PM

There's not enough money in the world to make me do that BORING drive again. Not when I can hop a plane easily and cheaply.

My advice: Fly there. Grab dinner in Vegas. Much more pleasant.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 02:05 PM

rjw,
Somehow I think if I gave you $1M you'd drive the 4.5 hours
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 02:18 PM

ribeyefan, buddy, you'd be wrong...! That's how much I dislike that drive.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 04:37 PM

I usually drive it because I love having a car when I'm there, I see many more properties, and always have at least one meal at an out of the way place. Also, the way it is dealing with the airport these days, (especially LAX) I think flying only saves you an hour at most.
Of course, I don't mind driving that much.

I would say that its also cheaper drive than to fly and take cabs, but I usually spend the difference at the outlet malls on the way.
Old Mar 1st, 2007, 05:16 PM
TahitiTams

By the time I have reached Barstow, I can't wait to get to LV and I am over the drive and kicking myself why I didn't fly!
I've always wondered about the Mad Greeks diner..you see the billboards but never have tried it and maybe I will as long as its quick and I do understand rjw on the flying angle to Vegas..it has to be the worst drive ever and either you have people that are hauling butt past you at 100+mph or 50mph in the fast lane..

Old Mar 1st, 2007, 09:26 PM

Off the 210 freeway we always stop at Bert n Rockys Ice Cream on Foothill in Upland (just past the high school). Great flavors like fresh pear sherbet, cream cheese chocolate chip and cashew caramel, and it's all homemade. Good fuel, but not open til 11am and you're probably driving in the morning.

AAA says it costs 52c a mile to keep a car on the road, so the poster who thinks he's saving money, isn't. $300 for the round trip drive versus $175-$200 to fly and rent a car on arrival.

The brazier burgers at the Dairy Queen Pilot/ Lenwood exit are pretty darn good.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:28 AM

You see, that's why I fly to Vegas out of Long Beach Airport on JetBlue. Quick kiosk check-in, curbside to gate (including security!) usually no more than 10 minutes (I've done it in 3!). And it's literally five minutes from my house. No Southwest Cattle Call, no LAX security line nightmare. Just smooth flights and more time to drink and gamble in Vegas.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:58 AM

I've never made this drive myself, but I remember that over the summer Food Network had a special on called Feasting on Asphalt staring Alton Brown and, I believe, this drive was included in an episode. It might be worth checking out.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 07:59 AM

Thankfully most people never leave the I-15 freeway. I live near Palm Springs and always drive the back way to Vegas through Mojave National Monument. The desert scenery is beautiful with many, many Joshua trees. It is deserted and seems like you have gone back in time 50 years. At one point you drive under the I-40 freeway and see bumper to bumper traffic. I watch it in my rear view mirror and merrily continue on into the Mojave desert.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 09:30 AM
TahitiTams

rjw..love that you have more time to drink and gamble!! my kinda guy..
RBCal..I have always wanted to do the back way from PS to Vegas..roughly how long of a drive is it?

Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 10:34 AM

I have had more bad food on that route than good. Lately we've stuck with fast food like In N Out or Wendy's. Peggy Sue's is a decent option. I haven't tried he Mad Greek in Baker yet, but may next time.
Old Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:21 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I did the drive once (well, I did Las Vegas to LA) and thought it was pretty cool. There was very little traffic when I did it and you can go REALLY fast. I guess if I lived there and went back and forth often, it would get old quickly.

I didn't go off the beaten path, though, so can't help you with that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -