River for tubing and rafting in central Texas

Old Jun 10th, 2004, 12:58 PM
Original Poster

River for tubing and rafting in central Texas

My crew is headed to Bandera, Ft.Worth, Austin and parts unknown in honor of all the Tennessee folks that gave Texas it's start. We plan to find a good clean and cool river or two to play in while there. Any suggustions?
Here's thanking you on the front end!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:02 PM

Guadalupe River at New Braunfels!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 01:28 PM

The best place on the Guadalupe is a run of the river called "Horseshoe Loop." It's about 10 or 15 miles west of New Braunfels on FM306, downstream from the Canyon Lake dam. The river makes a giant horseshoe which makes it easy to enter and exit the river near the same place.

There's tons of places to rent a tube if you need one. You can also stop by any farm equipment place and see if they have any tractor tubes they'll sell to you for a couple dollars.

I haven't been there in many years but this brings back some great memories. We used to stop by the ice house and pick up a case of beer on the way to the river. When we got in the water, we'd tie the beer to the tube so that it was in the water as we floated down the river. When you needed another beer, you didn't have to reach very far to get one!

Another place you might check out is the Frio river out at Garner State Park (west of San Antonio)

I'm a native Texan, 5th generation, from the Boerne/Bandera/San Antonio area. My family tree goes back through Tennessee though so I understand the connection between the two states. Have a great trip!
Old Jun 10th, 2004, 04:22 PM

You have two options in New Braunfels.

For the Guadalupe river drive a few miles north of town to Gruene. We have used the Rockin R company many times for senior trips--always without a hitch. It has a combination of slow floats and short, choppy areas. You choose from several different lengths, depending on river conditions.

The Comal river runs right through New Braunfels. It is the shortest spring fed river in the U.S.--only a couple of miles long. It's pretty much a slow, relaxing 1-2 hour float. A lot of people go back and do it again.

There is one place just after you go through the "tube chute" that looks like a short, easy waterfall. You will see people on the left bank getting out and putting back in after the falls. FOLLOW THEM!

I took the falls because it looked fun until I went over and it sucked me under and I almost couldn't get myself back up. Everyone with us who went over the falls had the same experience. It didn't seem to matter how good a swimmer you were.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 10:40 AM

The Comal and Frio rivers are much cleaner and prettier than the Guadalupe, IMO. Just got back from the Frio a few days ago and it was gorgeous down there.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:07 AM

I've tubed from San Marcos.

My advice is: Go early and leave early. I don't know what your "crew' is like, but, at the risk of being flamed by my fellow Texans, tubing seems to attract the kind of folks who will teach your young 'uns an entirely new vocabulary. Be prepared to feel like you're in "Deliverance"...heavy on the tatoos and the beer, light on the teeth and the sense (e.g. dads encouraging their kids to dive head first into 4 feet of water.) You may go, as long as you don't go back home proclaiming that this is what all Texans are like.
Old Jun 28th, 2004, 11:31 AM

Guadalupe sounds like it fits the bill, but be warned it is very crowded in the summer and you will see alot of young people acting crazy and drinking beer. As far as the levels, we have been getting some good rain so the river should be a good ride. I second GArner and The Frio River. It will probably be crowded with people but it is some of the most beautiful country you will see in Texas. The drive from San Antonio is very pretty and it isn't too far from Bandera! I wish I were there right now.