Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   River cafe for lunch then walk the bridge? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/river-cafe-for-lunch-then-walk-the-bridge-772190/)

aussiedreamer Mar 9th, 2009 10:52 PM

River cafe for lunch then walk the bridge?

I searched the above and found the most recent post was over a year ago. We will be in NYC first 5 days of Oct. We have been twice before, so this time wont be so 'manic'. (racing round to see 'everything') So this time we want to do some 'stuff' we haven't done before. I was thinking a late lunch at the River Cafe and then a slow amble across the bridge. (we are staying near the UN)
We arrive on a thurs and depart on a Tues, would you suggest a week day or weekend?

I'm thinking the weather would be agreeable with such a plan, although I have no idea what time of day the sun will set, early autumn if I'm correct. And maybe a water taxi to get there (something else we haven't done) does that sound doable?

J62 Mar 10th, 2009 02:05 AM

October 5
Sunrise: 6:56am
Sunset: 6:32pm

Can't predict the weather for that week yet but NY is a 12mo city so unless it's raining you'll be ok.

mp Mar 10th, 2009 03:56 AM

It's very doable - and should be lovely - make reservations as far in advance as you can though, through www.opentable.com

doug_stallings Mar 10th, 2009 04:55 AM

How about lunch at Peter Luger? They have a great hamburger that's only served then. River Cafe is romantic but hugely expensive and (in my opinion) greatly overrated.

ekscrunchy Mar 10th, 2009 06:28 AM

How far is Peter Luger from the Brooklyn side of the Brooklyn Bridge?

sf7307 Mar 10th, 2009 08:07 AM

Aussie, just letting you know we walked across the BB in late November and it was gorgeous....cold, but gorgeous.

nytraveler Mar 10th, 2009 08:53 AM

Don't know how late a lunch you want, but like many upscale places the River Cafe closes between lunch and dinner. Officially lunch is from 12 to 3 - but they won't be expecting you to walk in and 3 and order a meal - that's the time for getting people out and clearing/prepping for diner. You might be able to go at 2 and stretch to 3:30 or so.

steffiemax Mar 10th, 2009 06:45 PM

The River Cafe - is just what Doug said - not good food - you are just paying for the view. I think you should check out Brooklyn Heights. Its one stop out of Manhattan into Brooklyn. Take the 4 or 5 (Green line) to Borough Hall. When you get up from the subway find Montegue Street - spelled that wrong - sorry - (on the corner will be a Bank of America with the time up high). Walk down that street. You will find a few cute places. My favorite place is The Heights Cafe (look it up online). It is casual dining with the locals - great food and great drinks. When you are done walk out of the restaurant and walk 2 blocks to the Prominade (you can't miss it). It is the best view of Manhattan. Its so close you feel like you can throw a rock and hit a building. If you walk the entire thing you'll see the entire island of Manhattan.
If you want a view thats where you need to go. If you want romance, you have a million to choose from in the city. I say get out of the city and go to Brooklyn (not scary so get that out of your head - great place - totally safe- great food and people and you'll hang with the locals).
October is a great time to come to New York. Its not too cold - its perfect fall weather.
Have fun.

aussiedreamer Mar 10th, 2009 07:43 PM

Thanks as always. I did look at the menu and your right, very expensive, (especially with the terrible exchange rate at the moment 63CENTS!!!! hopefully may improve by Oct). As much as I would like to go to the River Cafe, I may look at your other suggestion. Can we have a drink there, or is it only for dining?

Aduchamp1 Mar 11th, 2009 03:18 AM

Peter Luger is at the foot of the Willaimsburg Bridge. It will dump you onto Delancy Street in Mnahattan, which is the Lower East Side and a very interesting neighborhood.

LindainOhio Mar 11th, 2009 04:47 AM

We walked the Bridge on a beautiful Nov. evening and enjoyed the sunset. Lots of walkers on the Bridge. Great skyline view of the city.

ekscrunchy Mar 11th, 2009 05:36 AM

So how long of a walk is it from the foot of the BB to Peter Luger? (re: Suggestion by Doug above)

TC Mar 11th, 2009 06:38 AM

Consider a chamber concert at BargeMusic. It is right next door to River Cafe. The views are spectacular -- watching the sunset and the lights of NY come up -- and the music is amazing. Tiny little facility, so do book in advance if you decide to attend. We have at times had brunch at River Cafe and then attended a concert.

www.bargemusic.org

aussiedreamer Mar 11th, 2009 07:17 PM

Thank you...................

Aduchamp1 Mar 11th, 2009 07:23 PM

I do not know exactly how many blocks from Luger to the footpath of the Williamsburg Brisge but it is relatively close.

ekscrunchy Mar 12th, 2009 03:52 AM

Thanks! I did that walk once and ended up at Grimaldis, which I thought was not worth the hype. I will make a plan to head for the Pl lunch burger next time!

steffiemax Mar 16th, 2009 11:50 AM

You can definitely go to the River Cafe just for drinks. It will set the mood. Grimaldi / Patsy's Pizza is good but as I mentioned before nothing is worth the wait - Except if its Tom's on Washington Street in Prospect Park Brooklyn - the best place for Breakfast. As you wait on line to get in, they feed you and give you coffee.
By October you'll have plenty of things to do. FYI - Delancy a little shady - just be weary of your surroundings.

I've never walked the Williamsburg Bridge - I've lived in Brooklyn my entire life so I can't comment on that. However the Brooklyn Bridge is a great walk - on the Manhattan side you start at City Hall/Chambers Street. In Brooklyn you will be in DownTown Brooklyn - a quick cab ride to the River Cafe (shouldn't cost you more then $5).
Have fun!!

aussiedreamer Mar 16th, 2009 04:44 PM

Perfect. We may cab/ferry to River Cafe, have a couple of drinks and do a dusk walk back.
Now I'm excited. :-)
(ps, love all the cafe/restaurant feed back. Can be very confusing arrving in a new city and not knowing where to start.)