Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel or Terranea Resort? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/ritz-carlton-laguna-niguel-or-terranea-resort-925925/)

travelgirl2 Feb 29th, 2012 06:41 PM

Ritz Carlton Laguna Niguel or Terranea Resort?

My husband and I and our 17 year old are looking for a relaxing 3 night stay at one of these resorts, after a busy few days of college hunting.

Rita Carlton seems a tad nicer, but for the price of a suite ( bedroom with pullout sofa in the living room), we could have a 2 bedroom villa at the Terranea. Full kitchen too, although that is minor compared with having a second bedroom and twice as much square footage to spread out.

Any thoughts between the 2?

Also, is the Terranea really nice, as in almost comparable to the Ritz?

Thanks!

PeaceOut Feb 29th, 2012 06:52 PM

I do not know the Terranea, but have stayed at the Ritz. It is a fabulous resort/hotel, on the water, a gorgeous setting. And it meets the Ritz gold standard for service. We loved it. I would guess their suites are much nicer than you'd expect, and their pullout sofa nicer than most.

If you don't care about the kitchen, and youmdon't gain a second bathroom, the Ritz pampering might be best.

For instance, when we were there, I called for room service breakfast. I wanted a fruit plate, but they said they didn't have one on the menu. So I ordered something else. When my order arrived, there was a huge fruit platter included, free of charge. Now, that's class.

travelgirl2 Feb 29th, 2012 07:30 PM

Thanks PeaceOut. The Ritz looks lovely and comes highly recommended by some friends who have stayed there. I love your story about the fruit platter! I am wondering if the Terranea comes close.

Jean Feb 29th, 2012 09:17 PM

I think they're two quite different resorts.

The location of Terranea is isolated and in an area that I think is a little less developed than the RC area. You go to Terranea and stay at Terranea.

A large portion of Terranea's business is families, and I would say the focus is less on luxury and more on the overall beach resort experience which is probably why you're seeing a more attractive rate. There are three pools (family, salt water, adult only), spa, a small cove beach (open to the public too but sparsely visited), walking/hiking trails, golf course and programs like sea kayaking. We've seen lots of dolphins, pelicans and whales while having lunch at the restaurant closest to the water.

The properties are also very far apart. What colleges are you looking at?

TerraneaResort Mar 1st, 2012 09:24 AM

Travelgirl2, we are delighted that you are considering Terranea Resort for your relaxing 3-night getaway. We have a variety of room accommodations including Bungalows, Casitas, and Villas, and are located on the Palos Verdes Peninsula, approx. 20 miles south of LAX, overlooking the Pacific Ocean and Catalina Island. The Bungalows may be a nice option for your family to provide both space and privacy with an oceanfront view. We have photos of each room type available on our website as well. We would be happy to further discuss the room options and amenities directly with you and answer any questions you may have. Thank you again for thinking of Terranea, we look forward to the opportunity to have you as our guest.

Tomsd Mar 1st, 2012 12:02 PM

The Ritz is called the Ritz for a reason: It's spectacular and sits overlooking a beautiful beach.

lvk Mar 1st, 2012 02:21 PM

Terranea has a more casual, beach resort vibe. The Ritz is great, but to me, kind of stuffy. If I were vacationing with my teens, I would choose Terranea because it is more casual and because of the kitchen and all of the extra space. It's a beautiful resort.

Jean is right, it is pretty isolated, but that's part of its charm, IMO. The hiking paths are great, but the beach is a kind of rocky. What time of year would this be? If it is Spring Break, then it wouldn't be beach swimming weather (the pools are nicely heated though).

There is a Trader Joe's very close to Terranea, so you can stock your kitchen with goodies to enjoy while overlooking the ocean around your personal fire pit. :)

If you do choose Terranea, the locals here can give you some restaurant recommendations.

MomDDTravel Mar 1st, 2012 04:12 PM

I would stay at the Ritz- it is right over salt creek beach which is a HEAVY teen beach .... they shuttle you down so you don't even have to deal with the walk the way I did with my children :)

travelgirl2 Mar 7th, 2012 08:10 PM

I booked the Ritz. Thanks!

MomDDTravel Mar 8th, 2012 06:05 AM

I think you will be pleased. Just an FYI - this is a decent place to eat right up the street if you want to get off the property:

http://www.saltcreekgrille.com/dana_...ndex.asp?mid=1

This is in Laguna - sort of an odd little location in a way but the food is amazing:

http://www.cafezoolu.com/