Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

One day stop-over in New York - is it possible to see the touristy sites?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 02:09 PM
dina

Yes I know its mad but I can only stay for 1 day. Is it possible to see most the touristy sites in one day? Also need recommendations for a hotel for 2 nights (3 star?).

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 03:50 PM
Donna

I suppose it depends upon which ones and how many. When making up your list, note the opening times and go to the ones that close earlier first. The hop on/hop off bus tours go by all of them, so you can "see" them all in a day for sure.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 03:53 PM
Howard

I don't mean to discourage you, but in no way can you see most of the tourist sites in NYC in one day. In reality, you'll barely scratch the surface. I suggest your first step is to make a list of the sites or types of sites you'd like to see. As for a hotel, give us a price range.

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 04:04 PM
rqf

With one day I would concentrate on spending my time in the midtown area. Would start the day by visiting Empire STate building. Would then walk north on 5th Avenue to Central Park (less than 1 1/2 miles). Would walk through Central Park from east side to west side. With meandering it would involve walking a mile or so. Exit park in area around Tavern on the Green. Walk over to Broadway and head south owwn to Times Square. With a stop for lunch this cricle can be done in six hours, maybe a little ess, maybe a little more. On the walk up 5th Avenue you pass St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Center and a number of well known upscale retail stores.

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:44 AM
Riki

As a (recent) former New Yorker now in the UK, I agree with the above post. A walking tour is the best, and concentrating on mid town up 5th and then over to B'way and down to Times Square is a good overall look at the heart of NY city. don't waste the time going into museums, or even spending too much time in the department stores -- Macy's or Saks could take you an entire weekend!
The hop on hop off bus is a good first effort to get you around mid town and you can get on and off at will, if you don't want all the walking. choose the tour bus that goes around mid town -- there are a number of them for the different areas of Manhattan. a last effort may be to hit Union Square for a meal, which is lower 5th Avenue, and a bit of a change from the mid-town area.
I know a nice, inexpensive hotel at 32rd and Madison, theGrand Union Hotel. nothing fancy, but good location. hope you enjoy whatever you do.