Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   riptides, swimming around Duck (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/riptides-swimming-around-duck-418126/)

beentheretwice Apr 2nd, 2004 05:51 AM

riptides, swimming around Duck

We are planning a stay near Sanderling in July. I have two elementary aged children. How concerned should I be that we will be banned from the water for the week due to riptides? I have looked on the board and haven't seen much discussion of this, but someone told me it was a concern when they were there.
Thanks,
nancy

emd Apr 2nd, 2004 06:09 AM

beentheretwice: No one can predict this, the riptides vary. In 12 years of going to the Outer Banks every summer in June or August for a week at a time, we have only had red flags (warning not to go in the water) once, and it wasn't for riptides, it was storm-related, big waves and strong surf. But the bigger concern is being in the water on what seems to be a perfectly normal day, and having a riptide get you. Riptides are hard to see and predict, it's part of what makes them dangerous and part of the risk of swimming on the ocean. I think it is imperative to teach kids not panic once you realize you are being pulled out fast and remember to swim parallel w/the shore til you get out of it. I got caught in one once in Texas (in water only up to my waist) and that knowledge is what saved me.
Some beaches on the Outer Banks are lifeguarded. We stay in Nags Head in houses close to the lifeguard stands. But maybe that is just me, since I did have that experience once, I like having a lifeguard there. I think some of the beaches in Corolla are lifeguarded also.

mollyjar Apr 2nd, 2004 07:42 AM

Like emd said, it's very hard to predict riptides, so there is not way to know if they will be a problem while you are there. If your kids are not strong swimmers, then try to find a pool to swim in rather than the ocean. You can still enjoy the beach and wade in the ocean, but it really isn't much fun to swim in the ocean unless you're very good at it. I wouldn't let young children go in the ocean without an adult in the water with them, and I definitely wouldn't let them get past the breakers. If the red flags are flying, take them seriously, there are legal ramifications on top to the physical dangers. The beaches in Duck do not have lifeguards (or at least that didn't last time I was there).

weenie57 Apr 2nd, 2004 09:43 AM

The beaches in Sanderling are guarded (at least they were when we were there 2 years ago). If swimming conditions are dangerous they fly flags.

GoTravel Apr 2nd, 2004 09:48 AM

With two small children establish some ground rules.

No getting into the water without an adult.

No getting into the water if they can't swim.

Explain riptides to them (in a nutshell, they are a U shaped current) and not to panic if they get caught up in one but as emd stated, tread water parallel to the shore.

cd Apr 2nd, 2004 10:14 AM

We had a boat on Lake Michigan for 8 years and walked the shore most every weekend for those 8 years. We were constantly amazed at the parents who permitted their children in the water when the red flags were flying! Sometimes when the flags are flying the water does not look dangerous to them (however, you can usually see the sand swirling) Every year there are deaths due to riptides. Just pay attention to the flags.

beentheretwice Apr 2nd, 2004 01:18 PM

Once again, common sense prevails! Thanks for the input from those in the know. Not surprised by the answers since I grew up on the Atlantic, but I wanted to confirm my suspicions. When in doubt, follow the rules!
Nancy--now firmly planted in the middle of the US in Missouri!