Search

Outdoor Wedding in Laguna Beach, February 8th, 2009

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Outdoor Wedding in Laguna Beach, February 8th, 2009

Hello all,

I am in the midst of finalizing my wedding plans for February 8th of next year. Our venue does the reception indoors - well, actually under a tent, and they perform the ceremony OUTDOORS (in front of a gorgeous waterfall). I had intended on making sure we all dress pretty warmly, although they will have heat lamps...but I'm suddenly in a panic about rain. They will re-route our ceremony to take place in the tented reception area if there is severe rain....but gosh, that would truly be such a disappointment. I'm wondering if anyone has any information about the likelihood and amount of rainfall usually expected in Laguna Beach in early February...

Thanks for your help!

Stacy
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:22 PM

Feb is usually what I consider the rainy season here in So Calif., of course, it does not mean it will rain, we have been in a drought for a while! Sorry to tell you that you may have rain on your wedding day. With luck it will be a clear, beautiful day in the low 80s. The latter is entirely possible, too. I remember some beautiful weather in Feb in past years. Good luck!
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 05:30 PM

Stacyface,

I would never risk an outdoor wedding at the beach in February! One or the other must change. Best month for outdoor - September. If you must have February - change venue.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 06:07 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
February is historically the rainiest month in Southern California. The amount of rain in Laguna Beach in February isn't so much (about 2.5 inches), but it doesn't fall uniformly through the month. It could all fall over a day or two out of 28. So, your odds are only 1 in 28 that you'll have "severe" rain, and as Annetti said there might not be any rain at all.

Where exactly is the venue?
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 07:38 PM

Stacy..
Agree with the other posters..plus..its a cold rain.
Go inside, not a tent or try the Surf and Sand resort or rearrange in September.
Best to you!
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 08:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Are you from the SD area? If so, what made you decide Feb/outside/waterfall was a good idea?

You could have wonderful weather. But it could also be a monsoon -- and you won't know for sure more and a few days before the wedding. So instead, you will be fretting over this for the next 2 months.

I'd 100% change the venue if you can - but w/ this short lead time that may be difficult.
Old Dec 22nd, 2008, 10:07 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
sheesh - just re-read what I wrote. Where did that "SD" come from??

Oh well, same concept - >>Are you from the LA/OC/SD area<<
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 07:58 AM

Stacy

Just a bit of encouragement. We got married on Coronado Island, outside, on the water, the first week of February and had spectacular weather. Low 80s. Sunny. Cloudless skies. All of our friends from the mid-west and east coast were thrilled. Of course, it poured the weekend before and the weekend after...but we totally lucked out. It does happen.

Go to weather underground and look at their weather predictor. Might help ease your mind. www.wunderground.com

Good luck.
taitai
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much to all for your replies! I am originally from Hawaii...and sooo used to the rain, but my fiance and I have lived in So Cal (San Pedro) for the past 15+ years....our chosen venue is Tivoli Too on Laguna Canyon Road...and the decision was based on many factors, of course, but the date is not negotiable for sentimental reasons....and at this point, we cannot change venues....Tivoli assures us that they "have it all under control" as this is what they do....and we've been told that they've "never actually had a wedding rained out"....so we're hoping for a light drizzle at best....My recollection is that, at least here in the San Pedro area, rain isn't such an issue as it is in most other parts of the nation, but like you all say, it's definitely a possibility. I suppose I'm just making myself miserable worrying about it since there's not much that can be done at this point regardless, and unless one of y'all is a psychic, how can anyone really predict? Anyhow, thanks again for everyone's input....I'll have to post once it's over and done with and let you know how it went!

Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:20 AM

I thought this was a call to all Fodorites to show up!

Best of luck in your new life together!! Stay warm. Stay Dry!
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:33 AM

You may have a beautiful dry wedding. My b-day is in Feb and I've had many days when the celebration has been outside here in San Diego.

If it's already set, then it will be what it will be. You may want to ask friends to bring extra umbrellas to have on hand.

If it does rain, just keep repeating that "rain is a blessing" here. We need it.
Best Wishes.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stacyface, the venue looks absolutely gorgeous. I looked at the "winter tent" photos, and everything is beautiful. Don't worry about the rain. The Tivoli people obviously know what they're doing.

Buona Fortuna!
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 10:16 AM

Congrats on your upcoming wedding, Laguna Beach is gorgeous! We have enjoyed stays at The Montage, Casa Laguna Inn and The Laguna Reef, across from the Montage. The Studio or The Loft, both at the Montage would be very nice choices for meals. Have fun and Merry Christmas! ***kim***
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:20 PM

Stacyface, What a beautiful setting you picked for your wedding. We go to that area for the Arts Festival every summer.

Looked at the photos of what they do for winter weddings, and everything looked beautiful. Your wedding will be perfect.

Our son has a Birthday in Feb. and his parties were never rained out, so think positive that the sun will shine on your wedding day.
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 08:31 PM

Stacyface, since the venue and date can't be changed you have to stop worrying about it and all will turn out well. Beautiful location. Merry Christmas!
Old Dec 23rd, 2008, 09:05 PM

All the best Stacy..it will all work out..the venue is gorgeous!
Have a wonderful wedding.
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 07:03 AM

Stacy

No worries, everything will be perfect for your special day! Tivoli Too is a great venue; I used to work in Laguna and I'm familiar with the location. Best wishes

Hill
www.edufire.com
Old Dec 24th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Since nothing is changeable I would sit down with the facility annd map out every single detail of what will happen is you're rained out.

Then - forget about it since it's out of your control.

(And not to make things worse but I was at a conference in San Diego about 8 years ago and we had 2 days of torrential rain out of 4 there.)
Old Dec 26th, 2008, 06:15 PM

I live in Laguna Beach. Tivoli Too will have it completely under control - Don't worry about the weather and getting wet there! It is a beautiful place for a wedding, and the chance of rain ruining it is very slim. They really will have it under control so you won't be wet. It might be cold, and damp, but I sure wouldn't be worrying about hard rain here!

Elaine

Old Jan 1st, 2009, 10:15 AM

All brides worry about what the weather will be like on Their Day--I dont' care what part of the country you live in or if you're having it indoors or out, all brides worry about guests travelling to and from in bad weather as well as photos being 'ruined' etc. But no bride has ever been able to change the weather by worrying about it, so you just have to trust that the venue staff and management know exactly what to do and your guests are savvy enough to be prepared for possible rain. As for being disappointed that it rained on Your Day, and you had hoped otherwise, well, in the old days the old ladies would have told you that rain on your wedding day is a blessing: it prepares you for all the little disappointments you'll encounter from here on in!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -