Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Richmond, VA - Suggestions Of Restaurant/Lodging/Sights?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1st, 2000, 06:59 PM
Samantha

Hi - My husband and I plan to spend a few days in Richmond within the next month. Have any of you been there recently and if so, have any reccomendations to share? Thanks for your time and input.

Old Sep 2nd, 2000, 07:03 AM
michael

samantha,

i actually haven't been there in a while but i lived in richmond for a year back in the 80's----hated living there but there is some historical things to see in that area. so i wouldn't discourage a visit there. monument avenue goes through the area close to downtown called the fan. called this because the streets fan out from the downtown area. this is an old part of town. lots of neat houses, etc. oh yeah, monument avenues have several monuments in the median--it is kind of neat. This fan area is also where Virginia Commonwealth University is located. When I was living there, many nice restaurants were in the area. This is the area west of downtown. On the other side of downtown there is an area that used to be tobbacco warehouses that was converted into what was suppose to be a tourist area with shops, restaurants, etc. Don't know what's going on there now and if that has taken off or not. Also in that vicinity is the church was Patrick Henry made his famous remarks, give me liberty or give me death, etc. There is also a cemetery at the church. seems like some famous patriots might be buried there. of course, Williamsburg, Jamestown, and Yorktown are within an hours drive of Richmond and that is a very neat area.

This is the things I can remember. Hopefully, someone else can give you more updated information.

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:37 PM
Jeannie

Tell me more. What kind of things do you all like? We have lots of museums- Va history, Science museum of VA, and the famous Virginia Museum of Fine Art. The last has a great collection of Faberge eggs. Consider staying at the Jefferson hotel- it will take your breath away. Old, elegant and beautifully restored- at least have lunch there.
Take a tour of Hollywood cemetery- several US presidents buried there.
See the Canal Walk just opened on the James River- ride a canal boat for about $5.
Visit the Maggie Walker house, White House of the Confederacy, John Marshall house and Valentine museum.
Eat at the Tobacco Company restaurant, Sam Miller or Havanna
I guess you see I could go on and on. Check Richmond.about.com for other ideas.
You are going to love it here. Have a wonderful visit.
Oh, we also have white water rafting on the James- Maymont house and gardens, etc.
See www.richmondva.org

Old Sep 3rd, 2000, 07:42 PM
Jeannie

Samantha, please accept my apology. This thing sent the message before I could reread it. Forgive any spelling errors. I really can't type. In the South, we are polite at least.

Old Sep 4th, 2000, 06:27 AM
Samantha

Thanks Michael and Jeannie for your input. I had checked out a few websites and was hoping others would contribute their thoughts. We do like museums and historical things, so you've both given us some ideas. If you're reading this again - do you know of an area in the city that specificially called "vintage Richmond?" My husband mentioned that as a place/area to go to, but I can't find any info on it. Thanks again.

Old Sep 12th, 2000, 04:34 AM
JoannR

Good suggestions....
for food, Tobacco Company's good but Havanna is overrated and plan on smokey environment. If you like Cuban food, go to Kuba Kuba in the fan. For Japanese, Hana Zushi. Seafood, The Blue Marlin, Crab Louie's, The Hard Shell. Chinese, Peking Pavilion. Mexican, Cafe Ole. Vietnamese, Mekong. Thai, The Thai Diner. Italian, Caffe di Pagliacci (owner retiring soon though). Irish, Sin e. Greek, Zorba's. Indian, Farouk's.

Check out the Valentine Museum, Wilton House Museum and Poe Museum, Agecroft Hall (15th century english manor & gardens), Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens, Black History Museum, Museum of the Confederacy & the Virginia Historical Society. Don't forget to visit the recently renovated Capitol and explore historic Church Hill. Hollywood Cemetary is a must - although it sounds bizarre to visit a cemetary! If you start in the downtown area and work your way west, there are a number of sites that would be "vintage."

Monument Avenue features historic houses and monuments dedicated to Confederate soldiers. Where Monument Avenue intersects at the Boulevard, you will be on-track for the VA Museum, Childrens, etc.

I'd suggest trying www.styleweekly.com or www.state.va.us for more info. If you're looking for something specific, please let us know. (p.s. Va Museum will have impressionists exhibit end of Sept)

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 10:55 AM
Carolyn

I was in Richmond on business in April, stayed at The Jefferson Hotel, beautiful, and the food was great. Also had dinner at The Frog & The Redneck, funky place, great food. If you have time, drive out to the campus at the University of Richmond, it's gorgeous.

Old Sep 14th, 2000, 07:26 PM
Samantha

Thanks Joann and Carolyn, you've both given me some wonderful sounding suggestions that we'll definitely look into. I appreciate your time and input.

Old Sep 19th, 2000, 12:32 AM
Jan

My all-time favorite thing to do in Richmond is to visit Belle Isle in the middle of the James River. Park near the Federal Building in downtown Richmond and walk across a long, pedestrian suspension bridge to get to the island (no fees, nothing commercial) From the bridge, you can actually watch some fairly large fish swimming below (we try to guide the nearby fishermen to them!) The island itself is amazing - an old Confederate prison camp, an old mill, an old quarry and lots of parts of buildings to explore. But the natural scenery is the best - steep hills with paths up, down and around the island and the beautiful James River. You can rock jump around the south side of the island too. Don't miss this wonderful place. Plan to spend at least 2-3 hours here. Have fun!!

Old Sep 20th, 2000, 05:54 PM
You will

Check www.virginia.org for more ideas