Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Richmond Hill Inn (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/richmond-hill-inn-292364/)

smounger Feb 25th, 2003 10:50 AM

Richmond Hill Inn

Has anyone had an experience with this Asheville N.C.inn? <BR><BR>How about their restaurant, Gabrielle's at Richmond Hill?<BR><BR>We plan a June visit.<BR><BR>Thanks.

PalmettoMel Feb 25th, 2003 11:04 AM

Yes, we've stayed there many times. It's a very pretty, romantic inn. No kids allowed (unless a wedding is taking place there), so nice and quiet. Rooms with fireplaces and great decor. Beautifully landscaped. Gabrielle's is very good, but falls just short of being great. Very good service and well-paced. We usually go in October for the gorgeous fall foliage, but June should be nice and warm. Hope you have a great time!

Cassandra Feb 25th, 2003 11:27 AM

Had Thanksgiving dinner at Gabrielle's -- it had some good ideas but I suspect the volume and the need to prepare a lot ahead explained several mis-steps. I would imagine it would be much better prepared-to-order, but think it may suffer from believing its own hype. Make sure you sit where you get a view, on the porch or outer &quot;ring&quot; of tables.

OliveOyl Feb 25th, 2003 12:36 PM

We stayed in one of their &quot;Croquet Cottages&quot; and it was wonderful. Ours had a fireplace, wall of bookcases, pencil post bed, beautiful decor and the most luxurious bathroom I've seen anywhere...other than the Carlton Tower in London! It was a real treat.<BR><BR>I was a little disappointed in Garielle's. The food was good, but as someone else said, certainly not great. We had expected more so were a bit let down...but we are picky too, so take that into consideration. (I can count on one hand, and not use all the fingers, the number of restaurants I care for in the entire Tampa Bay area!)

mahoneycutt Feb 25th, 2003 01:44 PM

<BR>First, I've never stayed at the Richmond Hill Inn, but I live in the area, and have visited people who were staying there. I've never eaten at Gabrielle's.<BR><BR>In the end, I'll defer to those people who have actually stayed there, but<BR>I fail to see the attraction of the Richmond Hill Inn. I suppose people would say it had &quot;character&quot;. I found the rooms to be small and the inn to be dark and nothing special. Likewise, the neighborhood around the inn is mostly lower middle class (like me), and while you are directly above the French Broad River, you have an even better view of the interstate (19-23). The cottages did look nice from the outside though. <BR><BR>The last time I checked, you could stay at the Grove Park Inn or the inn on the Biltmore Estate for about the same amount of money.<BR><BR>Just the opinion of a native...<BR><BR>Mike Honeycutt

Judy Feb 25th, 2003 01:49 PM

We stayed at the inn this past October and had dinner at Gabrielle's. We loved the accommodation (one of the Croquet cottages), the helpful staff and the fall colors. Dinner was very good...like the others we did not think it was wonderful and thought it overpriced. We, too, are a little picky , but thought paying MUCH more at The Inn at Little Washington was money well spent! I think it would be lovely there in June...enjoy your visit.

Julia Feb 27th, 2003 11:26 AM

The worst thing about Richmond Hill, in my opinion, is the location. It's a lovely property, but the surrounding area seems too industrial. If I'm not mistaken, the house was actually moved from another location. I haven't eaten at Gabrielle's, but I have stayed there and found the rooms to be lovely.

TrishTravels Apr 6th, 2003 07:42 AM

I have eaten twice at Gabrielles and I won't go back. My first time, I brought about 8 friends and we sat in a private dining room and had terrible service! But what do you expect for close to $1,000 for dinner, coctails and fine wine.<BR>I went last spring for a mother/daughter thing party of four and they missed again on the service. I should have to ask to get served the various courses; esp. more than once.<BR>I am very particular, and they have a ton of potential, but they do fall short of my top ratings. The food was very good but it's pricey of course.<BR>The fall color around the grounds is very romantic. Surrounding location does stink.