Notices

RI questions- Prov. and BI

Sep 25th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Original Poster

RI questions- Prov. and BI

We are thinking of visiting Block island for a long weekend and wonder if a car is necessary. If not, where would you recommend staying ( just the two of us) so we could get to a walking beach, town, restaurants etc. easily? Any BI advice will be most apprciated.
Also, any advice on some resonably priced B&B or hotels around Providence? Any week-end we decide we'd like to visit, the Marriott, Couryard, etc. are booked as well as being pretty expensive. Thanks !
Sep 25th, 2004, 08:20 AM

Renting a bike is best for Block Island, but you might need a car to get from Providence to the ferry.

Rose Farm Inn is a nice place to stay on the island, not far from town...but the island practically shuts down in mid October with restaurants and some of the inns shuttering for the season.

Providence airport is actually in Warwick, so you might check there for accomodation...Newport to the south is a bit closer to the ferry, but I doubt you'd find any Newport hotel with airport service plus shuttle service to the ferry.
Sep 26th, 2004, 08:54 AM
Original Poster

I think I misled you. We live in New England. I was just wondering about taking the fast ferry from New London next week-end and if we'd be able to get arounf once there.
Another trip I'd like, now not until next spring or summer, would be to Providence for Waterfire, but there seem to be so few hotels. Thanks.
Sep 27th, 2004, 04:02 AM

If you're in good physical shape, the best and only real way to enjoy all the beauty BI has to offer is by bike. However, there are mo-peds available but the locals hate them. You could take a car....but again, it's sort of up to how much biking/mo-peding you're willing to do. The island's maybe 4 x7 miles. Big without a car, not with a car (does that make sense?).

If you're taking the hi-speed ferry you'll port into New Harbor which is 1.5 to 2 miles from town. I'm not sure if there are any bike rentals there in Oct. but you could get an Island taxi to town where nearly of the bike/mo-ped rentals can be found.

For accomodations, I would recommend staying at the Atlantic Inn, which is situated high on a hill, very close to town and restaurants. Second rec. would be the 1661 Inn-also walking distance to town but not in town. Anything in town is a little tired and run-down after a long summer and there's still a noise factor to contend with, any weekend.

As for restaurants I would recommend the following: The Atlantic Inn and Eli's for dinner, The Beach Head or Bethany's Airport Diner for lunch and Ernie's for bfast (although both Atlantic and 1661 include bfast). That's sort of a limited selection but in October, some places are beginning or already have closed for the season to(although BI is still humming through Columbus Day weekend...lots of birding to do, hiking, etc.).

Also, the BI Chamber of Commerce is incredibly helpful. (www.blockislandchamber.com)

Search this Thread