Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Rhode Island - Rose Island Light House (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/rhode-island-rose-island-light-house-650850/)

bellhouse Oct 4th, 2006 09:23 AM

Rhode Island - Rose Island Light House

I wondered if anyone had spent the night in the Rose Island light house and could give me some information. We're thinking of doing it this summer. thanks.

ScarletandGray Jan 23rd, 2007 06:01 PM

Although I can't give you first hand information just yet, you can refer to the thread "Just returned from Newport and Block Island" if you haven't already. That is where I first discovered such a place existed--spending a night in a lighthouse--what an opportunity!!

We are spending a night there this July and I'm sure it will be the highlight of our trip. You can visit www.roseislandlighthouse.org for contact information. They were most helpful when I called them.

If you are still considering this I would book it quickly as we had to plan our vacation around the nights that were available in the lighthouse. You can pull up their availibility calendar on the website.

Hope this helps and please post your experience if you do stay.

bellhouse Jan 26th, 2007 09:52 AM

Thanks so much - I had just about given up on hearing from anyone! I hope we'll be able to do it, but we may have to content ourselves with a daytime visit. We go to Middletown every other year with my husband's family (his mother's family has a house there) so we have to coordinate with his two sisters and their families. It can be difficult to pin everyone down until much closer to time. It's definately staying on my to do list, even if it doesn't work out this year. Please post about your experience wehn you get back. When in July will you be there?

ScarletandGray Jan 26th, 2007 03:26 PM

We will be there July 5th. We are so looking forward to visiting New England--all my son's idea really. He just turned eight but last summer he saw a picture of Castle Hill Lighthouse in one of his books and said that's where he wanted to go this year for vacation. We will difinitely visit Castle Hill and are hoping that our stay in the Rose Island Lighthouse will be a memory both the kids keep for a lifetime. Will post our stay when we return. Enjoy your travels!

bellhouse Jan 29th, 2007 03:38 AM

I think I read in your other post that you like hiking/walking. If so, the Norman Bird Sanctuary has some great trails and wonderful views from the ledges across to the water. www.normanbirdsanctuary.org/ We always go there, to one of the "cottages", Flo's Clam Shack, and the Creamery for ice cream I'm not big on ice cream, but the turtle sundae is a must. Enjoy your trip!

ScarletandGray Jul 20th, 2007 06:11 PM

Staying in Rose Island Lighthouse was a fantastic experience. The house has been restored c.1912 and is loaded with history. The money we paid to stay there goes to continue to maintain such a wonderful place.

There is a windmill on the island where electricity is generated but I think there is a back up generator in place as well. There is an indoor toilet, you just have to pump the water to flush. Outdoor shower, though. We took a raincheck on that. The bed was comfortable and my kids LOVED the bunk beds. They also loved playing the records on the victrola.

We really had a great time combing the beach and watching some really big ships pass by. My kids would still be there skipping stones on the beach if our vacation hadn't ended.

There are however lots and lots of birds on the island. They are somewhat territorial, especially moms with their babies. You really have to watch your step, too. Lots and lots of bird excrement! We only saw sea gulls but there are many species that live on the island. A filmographer happened to be there the night we stayed and he filmed the birds in the early morning hours.

There are also kayaks available to use but the water was too choppy when we were there.

I recommend this to anyone. If you call the number on the website you will most likely talk with Cornelia--very helpful. Also, please take note that there are two bedrooms plus the bunkroom available each night. We are a family of four so we had one bedroom plus the bunk room. The other room was booked by a couple from Indiana. We enjoyed their company and were glad to have met them. You can tell on the lighthouse's website what rooms are available and which are booked so you know in advance if others will be joining you on your night in the lighthouse. There is also a "keeper" there, they are there for a week at a time.

bellhouse Jul 21st, 2007 09:08 AM

Thanks so much for the report! We just got back form RI last night and every time we drove over the bridge I looked longingly at the lighthouse. After reading your post I've decided that we WILL stay at the lighthouse year after next - no matter what the rest of DH's family is doing! What else did you do?

ScarletandGray Jul 21st, 2007 02:51 PM

You are on the ball bellhouse! I didn't expect such a quick response. I'm glad to hear you will plan on staying at the lighthouse in '09--you'll be glad you did. The fog was so thick the night we were there we couldn't even see the bridge but we sure could hear its siren! It really wasn't a big deal--the birds I thought were more annoying.

We loved RI but only had one night there. The stay at Rose Island was at the end of an 11 day trip that ended up being 2200+ miles. We were planning on spending some time in Newport the next morning but everyone (except me) was ready to come home. So after a quick visit to the Castle Hill Lighthouse (a picture of this light inspired my son to go to RI to see lighthouses) we headed for home--central Ohio. Needless to say that was a bit ambitious and we ended up stopping near Wheeling, WV. Had I known we wouldn't have made it home, I definitely would've spent some time in Newport.

Our trip started in Niagara Falls--stayed on Canadian side for one night, did Maid of the Mist. Loved it. On to Seneca Falls, NY to have a long lunch with my husband's cousin--we haven't seen him since 1996 before getting to Lake George, NY.

Lake George is an awesome family destination--we want to go back! We were there for 3 nights. Drove to Mt. Prospect, had a picnic, horse and carriage ride around the lake, putt-putt, intertubed down the Hudson River, ate ice cream at Papa's in Lake Luzerne, Minne Ha-Ha paddlewheel boat on the lake.

Stopped at Sugarbush Farm near Woodstock, VT on our way to Maine. This is an awesome place and you can visit their website. They make their own maple syrup and cheese--just a lovely place we really enjoyed, as did the kids. Vermont is beautiful.

Crossed the Windsor-Cornish covered bridge crossing into NH. Longest in the USA--beautiful.

Stayed in Boothbay Harbor, ME for 3 nights. Took boat to Burnt Island, a living historical program where people portray the keeper, his wife and children. It is set in 1950 and was very interesting--even for the kids. They explain their duties as keeper, wife, etc..--a very tough life I would imagine. It is a lovely island and I hightly recommend a visit! Had some lobster, of course. Drove north up the coast to Owl's Head--went to the lightouse there as well as the transportation museum, my son's favorite place!

Drove south towards Portland on the 4th of July. Stopped in Freeport to go to LLBean and got there right after the parade started--an unplanned bonus. Saw more lighthouses in Portland--Twin Lights and Portland Head Light. Rained that night but saw fireworks from our hotel room--just dumb luck.

On to Newport to stay in lighthouse. Ate at a pizza place there on a corner on our way--it was in an old firehouse maybe. I can't remember the name of it.
Caught the ferry to the lighthouse at Ft. Adams. Saw Castle Hill.

Stopped in Mystic, CT for some mystic pizza on our way home. I really wanted to stop in Shanksville, PA on our way home to see the Flight 93 memorial from 9/11 but it was getting dark when we were passing near there. That was the only thing on my to do list that we didn't do but we live close enough we can do that some other time.

This was an exhausting but good trip--I'd do it again. I am leaving out many things we got to see and do--these are just the hightlights. Taking the kids to the drive in movie tonight--they've never done that before!

Next year I want to see 4th of July fireworks over Mt. Rushmore. Keep yor fingers crossed it works out!

capecodshanty Jul 22nd, 2007 06:54 AM

Don't know how I missed this post, but so pleased someone who had stayed at Rose Island chimed in.
Staying there several years ago was one of the best travel experiences we had. A beautiful clear weekend in September, with friends, waking up in the morning to see the Crystal Harmony just off shore,with passengers on deck looking through binoculars at us, at the Lighthouse.
We had gotten into the mood, and after provisioning for the night on shore in Newport, we changed into our '20's garb.A gorgeous night,wonderful food and lots of wine!
You can also be a "lighthouse keeper" for a week, in the summer.If I didn't live in such a beautiful spot, I would do it!
Scarlett and Gray, enjoyed your trip report.