Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Reviews of restaurants and attractions -- how long do they stay up?

Nov 17th, 2008, 02:37 PM
Original Poster

Posted this over at "Forums Help" with no reply so far, so I'll try here (some of the places I've posted about were at European destinations).

Have recently posted several reviews/ratings of tourist sights and restaurants at the Fodor's website.

Was wondering how long they stay up. If they stay up for a really long time (many years, forever), I'll gladly do more. If they get cleared off after a certain time, I probably won't continue.

Any site moderators know the answer? Much obliged.
Nov 17th, 2008, 03:23 PM

If you mean a forum like this - everything stays - but falls further and further to the bottom as new threads are answered.

If you post a review of a specific restaurant with the name in the title it will come up if someone searches for that exact name.

Otherwise it will keep dropping once people stop responding.
Nov 17th, 2008, 03:39 PM
yk

No... I think bachslunch is referring to the reviews under

Destinations

Say if you pick a city under destinations, eg Paris, then click on restaurants you get a list of Fodors recommended restaurants.

If you click on an actual restaurant name, you can see individual posters' reviews of these restaurants.

Same for tourist sights under Destinations.
Nov 17th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the response. I probably wasn't very clear -- I'm not talking about forum posts.

When you go to a destination entry at Fodor's website (New York, let's say), there are categories called "Sights," "Restaurants," and the like, which reproduce the guidebook entries. It's possible to do "Member Reviews and Ratings" for these, and I've posted reviews/ratings under the two categories mentioned here for some of the cities where I've traveled.

What I probably need to do is hear back from a site moderator on this, but so far none has responded. Anyone?
Nov 18th, 2008, 05:13 AM

They last indefinitely. They'll only be pushed down in the queue if newer reviews take their place. I can't say that will always be our practice, but for now, that's what it is.
Nov 18th, 2008, 05:35 AM

Hi bachslunch--the plan now is to keep them up. We are a few weeks away from launching our "new" forums; part of that redesign includes the addition of member profiles. Those profiles will display links to the restaurants, hotels, and sights that you have reviewed.

About two years ago, we started requiring registration for reviews to be posted. We removed reviews posted before we required registration.

Thank you for posting reviews by the way---we really appreciate it and your thoughts about the properties we currently include in our guides is really helpful.

We'd like to add a function in the future that allows you to make your own recommendations and review properties that we don't currently include.

Thanks again--
Nov 18th, 2008, 05:58 AM

The reviews should be dated.
Nov 18th, 2008, 06:10 AM

Hi Anonymous---do you mean in the new profiles? The member reviews have dates currently.
Nov 18th, 2008, 06:14 AM

Anonymous--do you mean our reviews?