Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Alaskan cruise or Hawaii vacation in August?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2014, 04:33 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are expecting our 2nd child in end of January so we are planning to do one of our dream vacation before our lives become even busier! I will be about 16 weeks pregnant but should hopefully be feeling great!

We are thinking of going for 8-9 days to make the trip worth it (especially for Hawaii as would be flying from the Midwest). Here are the two very different trips I have been considering and would appreciate feedback! We both enjoy beautiful scenery, short hikes, and seeing wildlife and a mix of relaxation and light activities.

1. Hawaii - 5 days in Maui, 3-4 days in Kauai. Pros - beautiful water, lots of swimming/kayaking for husband, sights like Haleakala national park, road to Hana, gorgeous and peaceful north shore of Kauai. Cons- long flights to get there and back. About 2 days of travel.

2. Alaska - 7 day cruise and potentially rent a car for an overnight road trip. Pros - likely depart from Seattle, do the inside passage heading to Whittier with stops in Juneau, Ketchikan. Cons- unfamiliar with cruises, being on cruise's schedule and not potentially being able to see the sights we want.

Again- two very different trips but would appreciate any thoughts or advice!
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 07:45 AM

We winter in South Maui, flying from Chicago. I wouldn't go to Hawaii for less than ten nights, nor would I split between islands for less than ten nights. Day One in Hawaii is a blur as your body catches up to the time change. Departure days are never full vacation days. Every transfer between islands eats half a day, door-to-door. August will be chock-a-block with families with kids on summer vacation. You may not even be able to find a rental car. Also, medical facilities are not mainland-great in Hawaii.

I would take the Alaskan cruise. I love cruises anyway! It's like being a carefree child again, with someone doing everything for you -- even making your bed and cleaning your 'room'. Much easier and more relaxing than long flights and finding your way around Hawaii. (Do come another time! Come when the weather is rotten at home.)
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 08:26 AM

I would do the cruise.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

After more research, I am now leaning towards doing Hawaii but just staying in Maui at a condo by Wailea.

Part of me feels like I am going to miss out on maximizing my opportunity to see another island like Kauai for a few data but it seems like most people don't recommend 2 islands if I don't have a full 2 weeks!

We are planning to fly to HNL on Thurs, Aug 7th, immediately take a flight to Maui and stay at the Wailea Ekahi condo. We'd leave following Friday, Aug 15th.

Will I regret just staying on Maui??? Will there be enough to do?
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention that we decided to do Alaska in the future when I am more mobile and not pregnant! It's definitely still on our bucket list.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 03:49 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
It sounds like your mind is made up, but I'll just mention that the last time we were in Hawaii in August we really found the heat and humidity to be quite oppressive.

If you did a land-based trip to Alaska you could mix up your experiences - hiking, glaciers, wildlife, interesting local cultures, maybe flightseeing...

Granted, it's a very different kind of vacation than Maui, but with 8-9 days you could see quite a lot.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 06:42 AM

Ekahi is very nice; you'll have A/C, right? It's right on one of the best beaches. We own in South Kihei. There is a Safeway right off Piilani Hwy. on your way to your condo -- open 24/7 (no liquor sales after 11 pm).

You could stay Maui for a month without being bored! (Don't waste time or money going to Kauai on this trip.)

Get your rental car booked immediately.

Can you get your interisland flight(s) on one ticket with your mainland flights? If your flights are single ticket you can through-check luggage from home to OGG, and OGG to home on the return. Otherwise you may have to claim luggage at HNL and recheck it on Hawaiian Airlines, then go back through TSA security -- a hassle. Allow two hours within security at HNL between flights. Or...do only carry-on. Hawaii is VERY casual living.

If you want to attend a luau, the best two are in Lahaina. Book now. (I like Feast At Lele better than Old Lahaina Luau for a couple.)

Wailea is home to most of Maui's best hotels, all with restaurants, bars, etc. Although I don't care for the hotel, the Grand Wailea has a nice spa -- nice deal for couples there, too. We also like the views from Five Palms (on Keawakapu Beach) and Gannon's (panoramic view from above Wailea. These both do B,L,D.

Drive up to piney, golf-y Kapalua one day, stopping to browse Lahaina Town. Drive south past Makena to see where the last volcanic eruption on Maui is still bare and black against the blue ocean. Iao Valley is a short stop to see this eerie, misty place. Bailey House museum is right there too.

Visit Upcountry (not necessarily all the way up to the crater) and browse hippy Paia. Mama's Fish House is a treat; we do lunch and avoid a drive back to South Maui in the dark. (Need reservations.)

You might drive some of Road to Hana -- winding road may not suit, but you can always turn back. (It's a 12-hour day if you do it all.)
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 09:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the advice!

ChiSue - unfortunately I'm using Delta miles to get to Honolulu and then flying inter island to Maui when we get there so will have to recheck bags. I'll make sure that we leave enough time in between then. And - yes, my condo does have AC thank goodness! Sounds like Maui is hot in August but hopefully the trade winds will be blowing.

Can't wait!
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 10:10 AM

You really could do a week on Maui with only carry-on -- especially since a condo has washer/dryer.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 11:22 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Completely personal decision. I'd go to Hawaii because I love it there, and have no interest in an Alaska cruise. But again, absolutely that's just me.
Old Jul 7th, 2014, 11:24 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Oops, I just saw your second post. There's plenty to do on Maui for a week or so. Of course you'll miss something by not going to all the islands, but that's unavoidable. I think your plan for Maui only is perfect or only go to Kauai. Either one island for your time frame would be great. Even Oahu.
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 07:29 AM

I think you made the right choice for sure....just not a fan of Alaska and definitely not while pregnant.
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 05:08 PM

couldn't get more opposite - Hawaii or Alaska! There is so much of the world to see.......enjoy your trip to Hawaii. Sounds like it is well into the planning stage....
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 05:52 PM

Would take the north shore of Kauai - hands down in August - over Maui. Not even close.
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 05:54 PM

Compare this to the flat - south end of Maui:

https://www.google.com/search?q=pict...w=1280&bih=645
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 06:00 PM

Have you seen any of these movies - filmed in whole or part - on Kauai, the best/most lush scenes taken the north shore - Hanalei/Princeville area - out to K'ee beach?

South Pacific - Academy Award winner musical/love story set during WWI - by Rogers and Hammerstein - 1958, Blue Hawaii - with Elvis, The Thornbirds with Richard Chamberlin?, Jurassic Park, and lastly - ole dimple chin - George Clooney - in The Descendants.

Like Maui but Kauai is really No Ka Oi!!!
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Tomsd - WOW! Those pictures of the north shore Kauai are amazing! Looks a must visit -- whether it's in August or next time!
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Another question for the group. Has anyone flown Island Air? They have the cheapest prices but wanted to make sure people would recommend them! Thanks again!
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 02:32 AM

Maui is fun/lotsa good beaches - and the drive to Hana (around 600 curves - probably not best for you now) is beautiful, and if you get up early enuff - 3:30 - greeting the sun on top of Mt. Haleakala is an experience not to be missed.

But en total - it does not match the "verdundant" beauty of the Garden Isle - from the "Grand Canyon" of the Pacific (as none other than Mark Twain called Waimea) - to the spectacular Bali Hai ambiance/scenery of the north shore.

Taking a catamaran ride up the incredible Napali coast is another great treat http://www.napali.com/ - as is a helicopter ride around Kauai.
Old Jul 9th, 2014, 06:25 AM

I'd only use Island Air if you are not pressured for time. It's a small fleet, so any mechanical problems can delay you. Hawaiian Airlines is 'deep', with a great on-time record.

We had the experience of booking with Island Air once, only to have them change their schedule the month before we traveled. We ended up having to change our tickets and pay for a hotel in Honolulu. The option was to rise before dawn on Maui to take a plane going first to Molokai, and then to Honolulu, where we would be sitting for eight hours before our flight home.

These are also very small aircraft. Normal size carry-on luggage will be taken from you at boarding and tossed into the luggage compartment. (Bent my laptop.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -