Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Return Trip to NYC with my sister - Hotel Ideas? (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/return-trip-to-nyc-with-my-sister-hotel-ideas-921054/)

millie2112 Jan 23rd, 2012 11:23 PM

Return Trip to NYC with my sister - Hotel Ideas?

hello all
it is so good to be back on the New York forum. I visited NYC for my 50th in December 2010 and had a wonderful time with my husband and children. This time I am visiting with my older sister. She has never been to the USA and she is so worried about the long flight from Melbourne (she will be 60 in March so this will be a special trip).

I would love to make her visit as memorable as possible. I doubt she will return again.
So I would love to find a good hotel for us.
Added to the mix is my daughter (23) who will be joining us. So I am really after a one bedroom suite. A room that has 2 double beds and a fold out couch in the lounge.
But I am after a hotel that has breakfast (my sisters request).
Last time I stayed on the UWS and loved it. I think this would be a good base but the Beacon Hotel does not have breakfast.

So can someone suggest something that will suit. We are coming 19th of June for 7 nights and have a budget of up to $400USD.

One last question - Restaurant week - is there one in JUne. I remember reading that it was the end of June. Anyone know the dates (or have they not been released yet)

thanks in advance
millie.

Bowsprit Jan 24th, 2012 03:10 AM

The Beacon is one of my favorites. Can you not get breakfast makings from Zabar's? The Beacon rooms have that nifty kitchenette that is perfectly equipped for breakfast.

You might check out RCA apart-hotels, too, or any of the Affinia Group apart-hotels.

Would you and your daughter consider sharing a bed? I understand that you'd still need 2 beds. The Omni Berkshire Hotel has rooms with 2 dbls (and perhaps 2 Queen beds) and they're a nicely situated hotel.

I'm assuming the $400.00 is a per night budget, correct?

starrs Jan 24th, 2012 03:44 AM

Here's one option -
http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/...ommodations.do

Bedroom with 2 beds and sofabed in lounge

Breakfast is not free but there are several breakfast options at the hotel

starrs Jan 24th, 2012 03:45 AM

Breakfast = restaurant, kiosk and room service

http://doubletree1.hilton.com/en_US/...York/dining.do

nytraveler Jan 24th, 2012 07:55 AM

Not sure you can get a suite on the UWS - except the Beacon - and perhaps not that - for $400. You could look at On The Ave, Lucern, Excelsior as options.

In other parts of the city the Affinia group has a bunch of hotels with all sorts of suite configurations - and they are moderately priced and fairly well regarded. I wold hve a look at some of them.

But if you liked the UWS - agree to pick up breakfast foods at Zabars or Fairway. (In any cse hotels that have free breakfast mostly just have continental anyway - not a cooked meal.)

nyer Jan 24th, 2012 10:43 AM

The Beacon is right across the street from Fairway Market which has a restaurant so you don't have buy stuff to take back to the hotel. Good breakfast and brunch fare, but it becomes a steakhouse in the eveings
http://www.fairwaymarket.com/files/m...fast_lunch.pdf

millie2112 Jan 24th, 2012 11:53 AM

thank you everyone.
correct budget = $400 per night.
and you have all just confirmed what I thought- the Beacon is the best option.

ekscrunchy Jan 24th, 2012 12:35 PM

Summer restaurant week is usually in July. But there are plenty of lunch "deals" all year long.

For breakfast you will surely do a lot better price-wise, and almost certainly food wise as well, at Zabar's or Fairway than you would in the dining room of a mid-range hotel. Hotel dining prices are often extortionate..

Many, if not most, coffee shops will deliver. You could check out that option if you'd rather eat breakfast in your pjs.

Bowsprit Jan 24th, 2012 02:54 PM

Does Fairway or Zabar's deliver?

PeaceOut Jan 24th, 2012 03:12 PM

We liked the Beacon a lot. (I posted a trip report about it from last June.)

It is so easy to run across the street and grab breakfast to take back to your room.. It is a nice market, with a bakery and packaged fresh meals. The Beacon fridge is full-sized, and the hotel provides K-cups and a coffeemaker. We got very nice dinner salads there, and a la leche cake that was sinful.

nyer Jan 24th, 2012 04:31 PM

Bowspirit,Fairway is primarily a grocery/supermarket so its delivery service would be you pick the groceries in store ,then they deliver for a fee.For those who don't know (you do, since you've been there) it is literally across the street from the Beacon. Even in deep snow, it would be a painless walk.
Zabars is also a market, not a restaurant so delivery is similarly not a real option.

There are plenty of restaurants in all price ranges in the area that deliver if someone likes that idea

Bowsprit Jan 24th, 2012 07:03 PM

Thanks, nyer. My little neighborhood market will take a phone order and deliver; I wondered if either of these UWS markets would do the same.

millie2112 Jan 24th, 2012 11:18 PM

thanks everyone. last time we were in NYC we stayed at Wyman House which is around the corner from Fairways and we did use it a lot. love their soups.
I like the Beacon too, but having breakfast in our PJ's would be great.
I will book the Beacon and see if anything else comes up. although their rate i quite high at the moment.

AtlTravelr Jan 25th, 2012 08:30 AM

With regards to breakfast, there is a great "typical" NY style diner right next to the Beacon. While you can't have breakfast n your pj's, I think you'd really enjoy the restaurant. My UK friends were all about diner breakfasts the last time they were here and left their much nicer, much trrendier hotel to have breakfast with us instead. When I stayed at the beacon last June we had breakfast there -the name is Viand Cafe- 3 of 4 days, and dessert once. I really liked the beacon and our 1 bedroom suite was plenty big enough for our party of 4+a child.

nyer Jan 25th, 2012 10:33 AM

I think I missed something, millie2112. If you bring in food to your hotel room, of course you could have "breakfast in our PJ's". But in hotels with breakfast available or included, whether it's a continental buffet or a la carte ordering, don't most people go to breakfast in street clothes?
Hey, according to some sources, you could go anywhere in pajamas. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...962727568.html

millie2112 Jan 25th, 2012 02:16 PM

hey nyer, i was probaby thinking of room service.
I look a real sight in my pj's and I am sure I would put everyone else off their breakfast:)
I did not go to the Viand Cafe when I was there last time, so I will put in on my list of must do's.

Graziella5b Jan 30th, 2012 04:42 PM

Consider the San Carlos Hotel in East 50 st. Beautiful suites. modarate prices, freen wifi and also a simple buffet breaktast in included .