Reload this Page >

Restaurants on Sanibel island

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2002, 06:24 PM
Joan

Would appreciate some recommendations for better restaurants on sanibel island.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 05:07 AM
ABS

Last summer we enjoyed the Timbers restaurant. They also have a fish market next door where I bought fresh fish several times to cook in the condo.We also enjoyed the Hungry Heron with our children. While staying at Casa Ybel, we heard alot about their award winning restaurant, Thistle Lodge, but we didn't have an opportunity to eat there. Skip the Bubble Room on Captiva - very overrated and overpriced. By the way, the Mucky Duck is a hamburger joint on Captiva. There are other nice restaurants on Sanibel but we tend to cook alot on our vacation since we find little food compares to our Louisiana cuisine!!!! We're spoiled!

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 08:58 AM
liz

The best meal we had was at the Tween Waters Inn on Captiva. I think the restaurant name is The Captiva House. Agree that the Bubble Room is overpriced and not very good. The Lighthouse Cafe serves great breakfasts but there can be a long wait.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 09:06 AM
kwl

I second the vote for Timbers - always wonderful seafood. And for finer dining, Windows on the Water at Sundial is good too.

Old Mar 26th, 2002, 06:11 PM
jo

The Mad hatter -just before the bridge to Captiva. $$$

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:37 AM
Lana

Recommend Timbers, also (take home the dessert); Lighthouse Cafe and Sanibel Cafe are both good for breakfasts. Have enjoyed Sunset Grill (Captiva). Agree about Mucky Duck and Bubble Room; however, Bubble Room might be good for a drink at the bar just to see the place. I also like McT's for at least one evening out. Enjoy!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:37 AM
Lori

I think the Bubble Room is a hoot and worth a trip to see. Drop in at lunchtime at least to check out their huge desserts. We took my son there on his birthday for desserts and he really enjoyed it.

We also enjoyed Matzaluna for Italian food. It was probably the most upscale restaurant we ate at. We let our hair down when we're on a family vacation. The Hungry Heron is good if you have kids. Their portions were large enough that we had leftovers for lunch the next day.

Our condo had menus from all of the restaurants available to look through and we just got together and voted on where to go that night.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 04:44 AM
Sam

The Mad Hatter is very good. Setset views and good food, but maybe a little outdated.

My favorite is the Sunset (or sunshine?) Cafe. There is no view, and it is in kinda a strip mall. Way down just before you get to South Seas Plantation on the end of Captiva. Nice people own it, intimate and very good food. Better than Mad Hatter.

Other good, but not fancy is the Lazy Flamingo across from the Mad Hatter. Grouper Sandwiches, wings and beer. MMmmmmm gooood.

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 12:42 PM
lala

We enjoy the Hungry Heron restaurant for dinner.A seven page menu. They have out of the world seafood with huge portions. The Bubble Room on Captiva is a great place for a lunchtime burger(they are also huge.) The environment is worth a visit. It's not expensive. At least it wasn't for lunch. I highly recommend both places. Enjoy!

Old Mar 28th, 2002, 05:20 PM
msb

I live here on Sanibel Island and my favorite restaurant is the Riviera on West Gulf Drive. If you like veal, they have the best I've had. The service is terrific, the ambiance is wonderful. We take our guests here, and it is always a highlight of our trip.