Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2013, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bryce Canyon at Night + Zion Narrows Swimming

Hello all,

BRYCE CANYON NP
--------------------------
I'll be arriving at Bryce Canyon at around 1 or 2 PM via car from Las Vegas during the third week of April.

We have booked a room at the Bryce View Lodge for one night. We have to move on by noon the next day at the latest (following stop is Zion).

We'll probably do the combined Queen's Garden / Navajo trails, and drive around to see the various viewpoints. First question: how much traffic is there in April? Will we be able to find parking at each viewpoint, or is the shuttle a better idea?

We plan on returning at night, after checking in to our room, in order to stargaze. My understanding is that the park is open 24/7. Is parking still available at night (say 10 PM)? How common/safe is driving into the park at such an hour? I know it is possible but will we be the only crazy people doing so or are there a decent number of night time visitors? Can anyone recommend a good place to get out at night, walk around, maybe stretch out on a sleeping bag and stargaze for an hour or two? How safe is driving at night? I see the road looks fairly modern and I know that we would have to drive very slow out of caution.

ZION NP
---------------

We'll be spending a few days in Zion. Angel's Landing, Observation Point, and Emerald Pools trails are on our list, as are brief stops at Weeping Rock and the Human History Museum.

We are also contemplating doing the Narrows (from the bottom, day-hike version) and dedicating a day to it. Currently water flow for the North Fork of the Virgin River is 110 cubic feet per second. They close the day-hike trail if it hits 130, as far as I know. Has anyone hiked in April when the water is 100-130 cfs? How deep are the deepest points of the river? Will a 5'6'' person be completely submerged at any point?

Many people mention swimming portions of the hike. How deep and how long are these sections? I'm especially apprehensive about having to dip or make my way into a pool of unknown depth while carrying a backpack and quite possibly fatigued.

By the way, I know there is a good chance the hike will be closed when I'm there. I'm just preparing myself for the possibility that I do hike it.

THANKS!!!! YOU ALL ARE A FANTASTIC RESOURCE!
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 05:05 PM

You won't have any problem finding parking spots at viewpoints. And you won't have any problem driving at night.

I don't understand why anyone would want to arrive somewhere @ 2PM in the morning and the leave at Noon the next day. Makes zero sense. You will need to get up a daybreak to hike Queens Garden/Navajo Loop, then do a few viewpoints, and then leave by noon.

Then you plan on driving to Zion and then Returning to Bryce that Night?

In The Narrows, you could have to swim a few spots. They aren't long huge swims, but you could have to swim for 2-3 minutes a few times. This is a very wet hike any way you look at it. Even with a low flow you are going to get wet just about all over. You won't need a full day to do the hike. We did it in probably 5-6 hours. We had wetsuit, special shoes and socks we rented from Zion Adventure Company. I don't use a hiking stick, but I do on this hike. Bring two of them. We didn't take food. I think all we had was a camera and drinks. You can rent a "dry bag" from Zion Adventure Company as well for your backpack. There is nothing like Angels Landing and The Narrows. Don't miss either of them.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:21 PM

The problem with driving at night is the possibility of hitting animals like deer and antelope that feel free to use the roads and don't always keep in their own lane.
Old Apr 8th, 2013, 06:22 PM

Last time I checked, 2PM is in the afternoon, spiro....
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:31 AM
Original Poster

Spiro,

I am arriving at 2:00 PM (afternoon) on a Monday. Might be able to get there a bit early depending on how early I leave Vegas.
Hiking Queen's Garden / Navajo trail and driving to viewpoints that afternoon.
Checking-in to Bryce View Lodge (as in, drop off bags, eat).
Driving back into park at 10 PM or so to stargaze.
Sleep at Bryce View Lodge.
Tour by car Tuesday morning, any viewpoints we didn't see on Monday.
Leaving for Zion around noon on Tuesday.
Not returning to Bryce after that, going home after a few days at Zion.

Any suggestions on good night stargazing spots in Bryce?

Thanks for the info on the Narrows. How deep were the swimming stretches you encountered? We are planning on renting all of the gear you mention from Zion Adventures.
Old Apr 9th, 2013, 03:29 AM

am pm what was I thinking.

Are you aware that Bryce has a "Night Sky" program each evening? It is different each night, depending on what is going on. It might be a full moon walk. I think they have telescopes every night.

I just remember the water being up to our chest several time. For the most part, you avoid the deeper water pretty easily by picking and choosing your way. We went all the way to the little side canyon and went up it for a bit. I remember a small waterfall there (maybe 2 or 3 feet). That was the trickiest part for my wife, I didn't think it was that big of a deal.

Link to our Zion Photos--lots of The Narrows and AL
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0IatW7FqybsWkC

Link to Bryce(includes other parts of UT too)
http://share.shutterfly.com/action/w...0IatW7FqybsWj8