Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants near W 45th St in NYC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-near-w-45th-st-in-nyc-296714/)

amygirl Mar 11th, 2003 10:37 AM

Restaurants near W 45th St in NYC

In a week I will be heading to New York and would like some ideas on moderately priced restaurants in the area. I am interested in all kinds of food, so hope someone can help.

HowardR Mar 11th, 2003 10:49 AM

There are literally hundreds of restaurants serving all types of foood at all types of prices within a few-block radius of West 45th Street. So, how about some narrower guidelines as to how much you want to spend and types of food.

amygirl Mar 11th, 2003 11:12 AM

I don't really know what price to say, but I guess up to $30 for a meal, but under that if possible. As far as types of food, the usual fare: Italian, Mexican, Barbeque, Greek, Pubs, Steak, Chicken, Comfort Food, Deli's.....also take out sandwiches. Anything will help to get me started. I'm travelling with 2 older ladies who aren't very mobile so not much walking(which doesn't really go with NY)would be helpful.

Steph Mar 11th, 2003 11:16 AM

There's a very good Italian restaurant, Cascina, on 9th Ave. between 45th and 46th. Prices are reasonable, food is good, and it's very warm and cozy. There's also Becco on 46th (Restaurant Row).

Litespeed_Chick Mar 11th, 2003 11:21 AM

Have you been to Chowhound.com? Go to the Manhattan board and a ton of helpful food-obsessed New Yorker's will direct you if you provide the details you have here.

xaimimgr Mar 11th, 2003 11:28 AM

amygirl, would you please come back and post what you found. I too will be going to NYC in 3 weeks with an elderly lady who isn't very mobile. We will be at Marriott Marquis near 45th. I'm worried she will be worn out just getting from room to elevator, to street level. :>)

Frank Mar 11th, 2003 11:34 AM

Cabana Carioca at 123 W.45th St. between 6th and 7th. Great Brazilian/Portuguese food at low prices. Has been around for years and is always reliable.

mclaurie Mar 11th, 2003 12:07 PM

Thinking close & senior friendly, the Algonquin Hotel 59 w 44th has a pre theater $30 dinner (early). The food's passable but the room's great. For steak in the area, Frankie & Johnnie's on 45th betw Braodway & 8th but it's up a flight of stairs & over $30. Joe Allen's on 46th between 8th & 9Th (restaurant row, one place after another-mostly all good)is good basic American & affordable but it gets VERY busy. You must reserve ahead or eat at the bar.

HowardR Mar 11th, 2003 01:02 PM

Try Sam's on W. 45th, between Broadway and 8th Avenue, just west of the theater where Les Miserables in playing. It's similar in atmosphere to Joe Allen's, but I think the food is better. You can easily get away with under $30.<BR>Also, as mentioned by another poster, there's Becco on W. 46th (between 8th and 9th Avenues) which has an excellent all-you-can-eat pasta special for $21.95. Definitely make reservations there.

ParrotMom Mar 11th, 2003 01:37 PM

Close to the Sheraton we found Trattoria Rino at 877 8th Avenue..small, cozy and more than reasonable. When I showed waitress list of restaurants recommended by Chowhound NYC people she laughed and recommended this place... I think you can check it out on the internet...we thought it was delightful.

djkbooks Mar 11th, 2003 07:12 PM

You might want to go to www.newyork.citysearch.com - enter your location in a search, then click on &quot;Restaurants Nearby&quot; and determine which are most appealing to you...<BR><BR>The options, as others have mentioned, are overwhelming.

Owen_ONeill Mar 12th, 2003 05:06 AM

Howard and others make good suggestions. Best bet for great variety at moderate prices is 9th Ave from the low 40's to the low 50's. Worst case scenario.... if bringing someone who can't walk much, take a lete afternoon stroll over there yourself to find a place each day and then get a cab over and back (but it is a very short walk). I agree that caban Carioca is a good choice for the money although it doesn't have much in the way of atmosphere. Most important is to get out of the immediate Times Square area if $$ is a concern. Although there are exceptions, the places in or immediately adjacent to Times Square tend to be a bit overpriced, particularly the casual, tourist oriented places (becco is one of the notable exceptions - their pasta dinner is a great value). Also do some &quot;menu shopping&quot; as you walk around on 44th, 45th, 46th Street etc running west of Times Square - olots of fixed price early bird specials available if yotu look carefully. Most of these places post menus and signs outside so it's easy to check prices.

Rhea Mar 12th, 2003 05:59 AM

Le Beaujolais -across from the Firebird on Restaurant Row - 46th (8&amp;9Th)<BR>Prie fixe lunch (appetizer, entree, dessert): $15<BR>Prie fixe dinner: $22 (same) idea.<BR>truly bistro - unisex lav. in the kitchen <BR>&amp; charmingly small.

lucienne78 Mar 12th, 2003 06:15 AM

Definitely try Dervish on 47th between 6th and 7th Ave. Its Turkish food. Delicious and priced moderately.

amygirl Mar 12th, 2003 06:26 AM

Thanks to all who have made suggestions thus far. Your suggestions are great and a huge help to get us started.

sofiedognyc Mar 12th, 2003 11:11 AM

Churrisuria Plataforma (50th + 8th) <BR>Brazillian steakhouse. Very very very very good MEAT. Not so nice for vegitarians.