Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants near theatres (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-near-theatres-1016804/)

wordsmith1 Jun 10th, 2014 06:21 PM

Restaurants near theatres

We are seeing 3 plays and want suggestions on nearby restaurants

Kinky Boots Al Hirschfield 302 W. 45th

Lady Day .... Circle in the Square 235 W. 58th

All the Way Neil Simon 250 W. 52nd

tomarkot Jun 10th, 2014 06:37 PM

Two restaurants which we've enjoyed and are fairly close to two of your theatres:
Thalia's on 8th Ave. at 50th
Lattanzi 361 W 46th Street

Both were recommended to us in the past by a hotel concierge, and we've returned to each one. Check out their websites.

NeoPatrick Jun 11th, 2014 03:56 AM

I can only think of about a hundred restaurants close to those theatres that would work. Or must they be within a short block? Even then there are dozens of choices. Can you indicate anything more that would help us narrow down the field -- type of food, cost, atmosphere?

doug_stallings Jun 11th, 2014 05:13 AM

Thalia is great, and I'd second that recommendation.

ViceVersa is near Circle in the Square, which by the way is on 50th, not 58th. It's the little theater underneath Wicked. But if you like Mexican food, Toloache is also nearby, and it's really great.

I like Marseille, which is near Kinky Boots. In fact, that's where I ate dinner the night I saw Kinky Boots.

There are also very cheap Thai restaurants on 9th Avenue near all these theaters.

But as Patrick said, there are at least 300 restaurants within easy walking distance of these theaters. It would help us guide you if you could tell us a bit about what you're looking for.

wordsmith1 Jun 11th, 2014 06:24 AM

We love bistro type restaurants---casual, any type of food is good. We don't like big, heavy meals

ekscrunchy Jun 11th, 2014 06:47 AM

There have been lots of threads on this subject.

You can order lightly at almost any restaurant that does not mandate a set meal.

Maybe you would like one of the restaurants at the Gotham West Market on 11th Avenue:

http://www.fodors.com/community/unit...y-theaters.cfm

spring212 Jun 11th, 2014 07:27 AM

Wordsmith - Circle in the Square is on 50th St near 8th Ave - NOT 58th.
Thalia, as mentioned above, is nearby.

Rhea58 Jun 12th, 2014 03:11 AM

http://www.dafnitaverna.com/ on 42 St been 8-9th for very inexpensive Greek cuisine

doug_stallings Jun 12th, 2014 05:12 AM

Yes, Dafni is also very good. I've eaten there. I second that as well. I'm still not totally sold on Gotham West Market, but I don't feel that I've given it a proper chance yet.

SueNYC Jun 15th, 2014 02:38 PM

Kodama? Sushi is across the street from Kinky Boots. Good local Japanese restaurant.

Toloache near Circle in the Square as well as Azalea - Also like EE Grillhouse.

http://thestarryeye.typepad.com/expl...-54-below.html

schlegal1 Jun 16th, 2014 05:28 AM

My group nixed Braai for our excursion this coming weekend (too "exotic" for them). Anything like Thai or Mexican or casual American within a very quick walk to the Helen Hayes theater?

I see the recs above and they look like they are just a short walk but even closer would be even better.

schlegal1 Jun 16th, 2014 05:37 AM

Additional criteria in my request = serves alcohol.

doug_stallings Jun 16th, 2014 07:03 AM

Would John's Pizzeria work for you? They don't take reservations unless you have a large group, but if you go early enough, you can probably get in fairly quickly. It's a large place. That's the closest restaurant I know. Otherwise, Angus McIndoe is a pub-style restaurant where you can get a burger. Sardi's of course is around the corner but more expensive. And Shake Shack is on the corner of 44th/8th Avenue but is not a sit-down place.

Now in terms of good restaurants that I really love, both Etcetera Etcetera and Marseille are on that block between 8th and 9th Aves. The former is an Italian restaurant that has good pasta and is moderately expensive. Marseille is French-Mediterranean and is slightly more expensive. Both have prix-fixe menus for $35--$40, and these menus are actually quite a good value, especially Marseille, where you save a LOT.

The one at Marseille, for example, has a steak and a great chicken dish for less adventurous palates.

But both these restaurants require reservations at least a few days in advance.

starrs Jun 16th, 2014 09:27 AM

My favorite is the West Bank Café -
http://www.westbankcafe.com/

schlegal1 Jun 18th, 2014 06:15 AM

Thanks, John's Pizzaria looks like a possible winner. (I'm a vegetarian so West Bank doesn't work, but thanks for the suggestion).

How early is "early?"

doug_stallings Jun 18th, 2014 09:43 AM

I think you'll need to arrive by 6 if you want to make sure you're out in time for the play. Service there is fast, but you might have to wait 30 minutes for a table.

abram Jun 18th, 2014 09:43 AM

We liked Pongrsi Thai, Kashaval, and Afghan Kebab House.

schlegal1 Jun 18th, 2014 09:51 AM

Thanks. 6 is totally reasonable and the time we were considering anyway since I don't like to feel rushed through a meal.

FYI for anyone following up on other suggestions:

From their site: "Kashkaval's last day of service was Saturday May 24th, 2014." They have a different location called "Kashkaval Garden" at 852 9th Avenue.

Pongsri looks rather far from the theater district.

And sadly, there's not a chance I could get my crew, who wouldn't do South African, to go someplace called "Afghan Kebab House".

doug_stallings Jun 18th, 2014 10:13 AM

Pongsri Thai is at 244 W 48th St, so 4 blocks from where you'll be.

Kashkaval Garden is even farther (at 55th St). They've moved a few doors down.

If you decide to go to John's and find endless crowds, the worst that will happen is that you need to walk a few blocks further down to 9th Avenue, turn right, and find another place. There are a lot of interesting little restaurants there, and many will be empty still at 6. I like Rice & Beans, a tiny little Brazilian place (meat and potatoes for your crew!!!) at 9th Avenue, just north of 50th St. You may run across something you like the looks of better before you get there. And occasionally, either Etcetera Etcetera or Marseille will have a table (almost always if you are willing to sit outside).

abram Jun 18th, 2014 05:42 PM

schlegal, do you really consider 48th St between 7th & 8th Aves to be far from the theater district? I'd guess you could walk to any of those theaters in less than 10 minutes.

We did eat at Kashaval Gardens--and everything we are was so delicious that we wished they sold a cookbook. Also less than 10 minutes to the theaters.

We had a very nice brunch at Thalia, but I didn't look at the dinner menu.

Don't know what South African has to do with kebabs. Broiled meat served with rice, bread, and salad is pretty ordinary to us.