Restaurants near Oceanside CA

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2012, 05:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just came back from our second trip to visit our daughter and son-in-law in Oceanside. The first time was within six months of their moving, so when we went to terrible restaurant after bad, we chalked it up to really poor luck (it was only a three night trip) and their unfamiliarity with the area. Just as an example, we went to a Mexican restaurant, all four of us ordered margaritas, and the waitress said fine but they used white wine instead of tequila. All four of us actually laughed a lot because each experience was so consistently poor.
Anyway we just came back from second visit -- another six months had passed -- and my daughter did a lot of web research. One result was a restaurant that had a tequila museum as part of it on the way from the airport to her home. DH and I had margaritas -- she didn't drink. We were all so happy to be together, it took her eight hours to casually ask if the drinks were good -- as one, unrehearsed, we both said no -- very tasteless, (she knows we love her so she can handle the truth). So the next night off we go to a lovely seafood place on the water with valet parking and a jammed parking lot. Service a bit slow, especially since reservations were for 5 p.m. (son-in-law has early mornings), but again a happy family group. At the end of the evening, before dishes are cleared for dessert, daughter commented to me "you weren't very hungry." I replied, "my meal was inedible." All three of the well-fed people took their forks and took bites. Son in law said, "Oh, that's really bad." Others agree. We laugh some more. Someone will ask why I didn't send food back. Not that kind of evening, and by then I firmly believed there was no good restaurant food in Oceanside.
We diid wind up one night at the end of the pier. Last night, and by that time, I only ordered the milk shake because I had really no appetite. Not a martyr but I had stopped gambling. Good milkshake.
We will return in December. Our kids are the real treat. I can live on milk shakes forever. But are there any moderate pleasant good food places in the area? We would certainly be willing to drive to nearby towns for a sure thing.
By the way, they took us a lot of beach walking, and as people who lived in Hawaii for 14 years, we both agree the Southern California setting is amazingly beautiful. We could happily vacation there, as long as we just barbecued at home every night.
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 06:39 PM

I used to like going to the Rockin Baja Lobster in Oceanside- fun atmosphere- food was pretty good.

You are better off driving over to Carlsbad where there are lots of good restaurants . Love that area too- daughter used to live in Carlsbad
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:33 PM

Definitely second driving the 10 minutes south to Carlsbad. Here are some of the good restaurants there, and if you are meat lovers - while it's quite basic in atmosphere - Tip Top Meats can't be beat, and is very reasonable. They take it right from their butcher case.

On Sat nights - as befits the German owners - they even have a guy playing the Accordian and singing songs. (Or they did a year ago anyway).

There are also good seafood restaurants in Carlsbad.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/n/27/2606/...ad-restaurants
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:36 PM

It's been a few years since we dined here, but Fish House Vera Cruz was very good. http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/27/15764...-Cruz-Carlsbad
Old Sep 17th, 2012, 09:39 PM

And here is a page for Tip Top Meats. It's really like taking a little trip to Bavaria - and the steaks dinners, etc - are very good - for around $10 or so. Wunderbar.

http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/27/31513...Meats-Carlsbad
Old Sep 18th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for taking the time to respond. We'll look forward to visiting Carlsbad and trying recommended restaurants.