Restaurants near Hawk's Cay

Feb 25th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Restaurants near Hawk's Cay

My husband, 9-year old daughter and I are going to Hawk's Cay for spring break and we'd love some local restaurant suggestions. All cuisine welcome, but I assume there are fun "beach" restaurants that are not too far from the resort and are kid-friendly. Also, should we do a trip down to Key West (we've never been), see some sights and have dinner--opinions welcome on that.

Thanks in advance,

Mary in D.C.
Feb 25th, 2009, 02:42 PM

Hawk's Cay is fairly isolated, and I'm not sure there's another restaurant on the cay. We've never stayed there, but have driven by several times on our way to and from Key West. If you don't get a response here, I suggest you post the question on tripadvisor.com. You could try posting on Key West, Islamorada, or Marathon (can you tell I can't remember its exact location?)
Feb 25th, 2009, 03:41 PM

The resort at Hawk's has a restaurant. Otherwise the restaurants are in Islamorada and Marathon. All Keys restaurants are casual and most are open air. In Islamorada consider Lazy Days, Lorelei, and Islamorada Fish Company. My favorite is Lazy Days.

In Marathon, the Seven Mile Grill is a landmark destination. The Key Fisheries and Market is picnic tables at the local fish market and superb. Castaways is a good spot.

On the way down to Key West consider Mangrove Mamas at mm 21. A bit more upscale than most Keys spots. Really good food. In Key West the Half Shell Raw Bar is a good waterside, casual destination. Louie's Backyard is always popular and reliable. For another slightly upscale choice, the restaurant at Pier House is good stuff with a great view.

There are several threads on the Keys and Key West in particular on Fodors that you can catch on Search the Forums.
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Hi Stumpworks, many thanks--we like going off property so I appreciate your suggestions!The Islamorada Fish Company looks fun and we will check out Lazy Days.

thanks again!

Mary
Feb 26th, 2009, 09:38 AM

For breakfast, we enjoyed the Wooden Spoon in Marathon. Hawks Cay also has a more casual less expensive seafood/steak restaurant by the Marina where we enjoyed our meal. They can take you over by golf cart if you wish to have a few cocktails, but it's also within walking distance (about a 15 minute walk).

Definitely do a trip to Key West for the day, it's a lot of fun!
Feb 26th, 2009, 06:11 PM

We were just in the Keys with our kids (13, 12, and 9) and visited Chilli Willi's one night for a quick bite. It was a hit. It is burgers, sandwiches, and some fancier dishes.
Mar 1st, 2009, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

thanks for all the suggestions!

Mary
Mar 4th, 2009, 06:27 PM
GBC

Ditto re Lazy Days in Islamorada, (the back porch), our favorite.

Also great; Mangrove Mama's at MM21 enroute to Key West.

Two great pizza places: No Name Pub, just out from Big Pine Island (watch for Key deer), and Upper Crust in Marathon.

Sunday brunch at Key Colony Inn, Key Colony Beach near Marathon.

In Key West, Louie's Backyard is a bit upscale and worth it.
Mar 4th, 2009, 08:12 PM

I like watching the sunset from the balcony of the Zane Grey - second story of WorldWide Sportsman. Good food and great view of the sunset overlooking the marina.

Consider going out for a fishing, snorkel or eco-trip with Capt. Anne Baxter from the marina. She'll design a trip to meet your preferences. http://www.easyadventures.net/captain/index.php
Mar 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to circle back and say thanks. We loved Hawk's Cay and the entire area. We ate at Morada Bay which was wonderful and it is very fun to sit on the beach; we did the sunset at Lorelei which was loads of fun, too; we had breakfast at Mangrove Mike's and it was great. We had dinner at Lazy Days which was delicious. We also ate at Tom's which is at the marina at Hawk's Cay and for a hotel restaurant it is quite good and you can sit outside.

Hawk's Cay may seem isolated, but we didn't find it to be. The resort is actually smaller than it looks and is very walkable. We stayed in a two BR/2 1/2 bath villa which was very nicely decorated and had a full kitchen with brand new appliances. We are generally not "eat in the room" types but we did go to Publix in Marathon and had breakfast and one dinner in our "villa" (which is really more of a townhouse, but wonderfully appointed.) The resort had more children's activities than I have seen at a hotel and a separate children's clubhouse which was terrific.

Happy to answer questions and, again, appreciate all the dining suggestions.

Mary in D.C.