Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Restaurants near Harvard Museum of Natural History

Jun 28th, 2008, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
I am having a hard time with the map I have finding restaurants that are within a short walking distance to the Museum of Natural History in Cambridge. Can anyone give me any advice on this.

Thank you
Jun 28th, 2008, 05:40 PM

its not a bad walk to Bartley's Burger cottage, or to Sandrines. Bartley's a well known and well loved burger place, very casual but can be extremely crowded. Sandrine's is a bit nicer.
Jun 28th, 2008, 05:43 PM
yk

How "short" of a walking distance do you need? It's not that far from Harvard Sq, shouldn't be more than 10 minutes at most. You have plenty of restaurants to choose from in Harvard Sq.
Jun 28th, 2008, 06:43 PM
Original Poster

Hi,
How many blocks are we talking about from the museum to Harvard Square or to Bartley's?
Jun 28th, 2008, 07:04 PM

The museum is in the middle of campus with nothing commercial nearby; Cambridge is an ancient city and not set up in regular "blocks." As noted above, it's about a ten-minute walk, maybe half a mile, through Harvard Yard.
Jun 28th, 2008, 07:41 PM

Harvard Square; at the Charles Hotel You have Legal seafoods, Henrietta's table and Rialto.
Then there's Sandrine's Casablanca, Harvest, OM, Charlie's Kitchen,
Jun 29th, 2008, 05:31 AM
Cassandra

You are closer to the part of Mass Ave north of Cambridge Common than you are to the Square there, and there are some cafes along Mass Ave., ca. Wendell/Shepherd st. (Chez Henri is corner of Mass Ave and Shepherd) -- not a lot further is "16 Garden St." which is at 16 Garden St. Google those two restaurants and you'll see where they are relative to Oxford St., where the museum is.

You'll need a map, and there's a series of college-town/city plastic folding maps that show local businesses (sometimes out of date, though) including one for Harvard/MIT.

Jun 29th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Cassandra

Just went to Chez Henri's website (because I think it's the closest to the museum) and their maplink is useless. Much better to just enter 1 Shepherd St. Cambridge into whatever map program you use or look at a map of the Harvard Campus and follow Mass Ave north 'til you get to Shepherd. It's just past the Law School, and the museum is across Oxford St. from the Law School.

Jun 29th, 2008, 06:54 AM

Bartley's is less than a mile. About a 10 minute walk. Sandrine's is a block from Bartley's and more or less the same.
Jun 29th, 2008, 07:05 AM
Cassandra

kathymt: how much of a "short walking distance" do you need? (And when I said "you'll need a map," obviously meant "a better map.")