Restaurants near Boston Common

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2013, 07:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Boston for 3 nights the end of this month, staying at the Ritz. I'd appreciate some recs for French bistros, Irish pubs, Indian food not too far from the hotel. For lunch we like to leisure with some wine, good salads/sandwiches. Dinner maybe a bit more formal but nothing stuffy.
Thanks.
Old Mar 24th, 2013, 09:27 AM
cw

For French, you can go to Petit Robert Central on Arch St. For pub/bar style food, try J.M. Curley on Temple Place or the Elephant and Castle. Not sure about Indian food in that area.

There are a lot of new restaurants that have opened around there in the past year or two. If you search for Downtown Crossing restaurants, you'll turn up quite a few.

Boston is quite compact and if you're willing to walk 15-20 minutes there are many other restaurants.

Will you be out sightseeing during the day? There is no shortage of restaurants in downtown, Back Bay, and the North End (Italian food mainly).
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:14 AM
Original Poster

I made dinner reservations at Cafe du Midi for French and Mela for Indian.
Thought I'd play it by ear for lunches, not sure where we'll be walking around town though Black Rose was recommended by a friend, so maybe for lunch (or casual dinner).
I'd like to go to Harvard Square on Saturday. Any recs for good restaurant for salad/sandwich, bottle of wine in the area?
Are there any recs for an upscale (maybe tablecloth, not too loud)burger walkable from the hotel--I don't mind a 20 minute walk, or longer?
Thanks again.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Harvard square for lunch.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM

I liked Sandrine's in Harvard square. Not sure if that's a little nicer than you had in mind, but since you mention French in your initial post, this might fit the bill. Its a very pleasant place, with a nice wine list.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 01:51 PM

I made dinner reservations at Cafe du Midi for French and Mela for Indian.

I think Mela is just okay, but the same is true of most Indian restaurants in Boston. Tantric is another option nearer your hotel.

Are there any recs for an upscale (maybe tablecloth, not too loud)burger walkable from the hotel--I don't mind a 20 minute walk, or longer?

Pigalle has a very good burger, is not too far, and is upscale and generally quiet. Sitting at the bar saves you (a fair bit of) money over sitting at a table and the apps at the bar are much more inventive. Decent wines and good cocktails. Pigalle also fits the bill for French bistro, though Cafe du Midi is fine too.

A bit louder, but JM Curley on Temple Place also has an excellent burger and good food all around. A bit hipster though. Across the street, Stoddard's would fit the pub criteria, but perhaps not "Irish".

Any recs for good restaurant for salad/sandwich, bottle of wine in the area?

Russell House Tavern is pretty good. Henrietta's table at the Charles Hotel would be another option.
Old Mar 25th, 2013, 02:06 PM

though Black Rose was recommended by a friend

Don't get me wrong, the Black Rose is fun, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there and I would keep low expectations for the food. If you really wanted pub food, the only places I would begin to recommend would be maybe the Druid in Somerville, the Plough & Stars in Cambridge, or James Gate in JP.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Pigalle looks great. Thank you for all of the recommendations.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 07:16 AM

hmmm...unfortunately Pigalle is closing. Although it may still be open when you get here, its apparently going to close "later this Spring". It's going to re-open as some sort of American gastro-pub type of place.
Old Mar 26th, 2013, 09:20 AM

hmmm...unfortunately Pigalle is closing. Although it may still be open when you get here, its apparently going to close "later this Spring". It's going to re-open as some sort of American gastro-pub type of place.

Interesting news.

I took a look and it sounds like it won't close until May. Sounds like they are going to basically extend the bar menu to be the new concept. Probably a good idea as I think they have trouble filling the restaurant during the week and a big part of that is the menu is a bit pricey. Personally, I think the food on the bar menu is more interesting anyway.