Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants near Beacon Hotel, NYC upper westside (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-near-beacon-hotel-nyc-upper-westside-892394/)

PeaceOut May 25th, 2011 11:27 PM

Restaurants near Beacon Hotel, NYC upper westside

Will be staying with four friends, for three nights. Have plans to eat at Ouest our first night.

Going to see "Priscilla" our next night. Ideas needed for restaurants that are good, and mid-priced (entrees in low $20s?) , please.

Final day/night is totally unplanned thusfar. Good places for brunch/lunch near the hotel?

Thanks!

Aduchamp1 May 26th, 2011 04:18 AM

Ouest has a great brunch.

AustinTraveler May 26th, 2011 06:04 AM

We loved Bettola. Great pizza and Italian food and a great atmosphere.

PeaceOut May 26th, 2011 02:41 PM

Thanks!
Anyone else?

PeaceOut May 31st, 2011 05:01 PM

.???

Aduchamp1 May 31st, 2011 06:48 PM

We have not eaten at the following but friends have:

Nice Matin
Cafe Luxembourg

They are a bit pricey, however.

PeaceOut Jun 1st, 2011 08:15 AM

Thanks, Adu. We actually have reservations for Cafe Luxembourg, where we are meeting an old friend, a NYC native for dinner. It is one of her favorites.

Aduchamp1 Jun 1st, 2011 09:31 AM

There is a pretty good Chinese restaurant across the street from Tip-Top Shoes on 72 between Broadway and Columbus where Elena Kagan used to eat before she became a Supreme Court Justice. When she was being questioned before the Senate, Lindsay Graham asked what she was doing Christmas Day (in realtionship to the Times Square bomber), and she said, "You know, like all Jews, I was probably at a Chinese restaurant.”

nytraveler Jun 1st, 2011 10:00 AM

Ocean Grill
Isabellas

Brunch:

Barney Greengrass
Popover Cafe

PeaceOut Jun 1st, 2011 03:06 PM

Thank you! I am excited about staying in this neighborhood.

Bowsprit Jun 6th, 2011 03:31 AM

For others checking in, there's a great little casual restaurant in Fairway Market which is right across the street from the Beacon.

Aduchamp1 Jun 6th, 2011 04:27 AM

Even though Peaceout is back home, I forgot to mention Nougatine. Great food value.

PeaceOut Jun 6th, 2011 08:32 AM

Yes, I am back! Loved the upper west side neighborhood and the hotel location. Love the Beacon, too.

We ate at Cafe Luxembourg our first night, with a New Yorker friend, to celebrate her birthday. It was quite good and reasonably priced. My seared scallops were a special that night, for $29.

Ate another late night breakfast meal at Viand, right next door to the hotel. A diner-type restaurant with excellent service, an expansive menu, reasonable prices, and good (not great) food.

The Fairway market across from the hotel is a great place to get cheeses, prepared salads, berries, yoghurts, etc. So we ate one dinner in our room, and kept breakfast foods on hand, too. So perfect for what we were looking for.

(I have posted a mini-report on the hotel, also.)

Aduchamp1 Jun 6th, 2011 09:22 AM

Viand is known for their roast turkey, as if that is something to be known for.

PeaceOut Jun 6th, 2011 05:00 PM

It is a 'comfort food' kind of place.

Aduchamp1 Jun 6th, 2011 06:46 PM

The people that serve the food at the Brooklyn Fairways were fired from the DMV as being too slow. But the view of harbor from the eating area is spectacular.