restaurants, must must do's on oahu...

Old Jul 7th, 2003, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
restaurants, must must do's on oahu...

we are headed to the BI and Kauai in November (I have posted lots of questions and recieved some great answers!) We will be staying one night in waikiki at the Marriott because my sons want to see the Arizona Memorial. We arrive in Oahu on a thursday arounf noon. that is too late in the day to do the Arizona, so we will get up early and do it the next morning before our afternoon flight to Kona. So, we will have all of one afternoon and evening to stay busy. Any suggestions? My sons are 10 and 11 and pretty active. What is a good restaurant to take them to that is "island like"? I thought about the oceanarium in the Pacific beach hotel because of the aquarium but not sure what the food is like. Don't want too fancy. Your suggestions are welcome!
Tammy
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:11 PM

I would take your kids to Dukes. It's beachfront, casual, a little noisy, definitely "island like". I've eaten at the Oceanarium before but honestly cannot remember how the food was. Guess it wasn't great or horrible! Your sons might also enjoy a surf lesson or an outrigger ride from Waikiki beach.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 01:37 PM

Just a word to the wise about the Arizona Memorial.Its very busy right now.I was told to get there early so I arrived at 8:30am last week only to be greeted with a line to get in that was at least 200 yards long.It took about 45 minutes to get my ticket,and then had to wait another 1.5 hours for the 75 minute tour to start.This is a 25 minute movie,then onto the boat out to the memorial,about 15 minutes,then the boat back to the visitor center.
The visitor center opens at 7:30,and the first tour is at 7:45.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 02:37 PM

The food is not terrible at the Oceanarium, but it's not gourmet-licious. It's fine for kids, though. If it helps you, they are open for lunch.

do check out the free, live hula show at any of the Sheraton hotels at sunset (Sheraton Waikiki or the Moana Surfrider, which is closer to your hotel). They usually have a grill so you can order food, so your sons can chow down while you unwind with a cocktail.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 06:56 PM

Actually, you might still want to check out the wait at the Arizona Memorial when you arrive. I've gotten in several times in the afternoon with very little wait.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:01 PM

Oceanarium food is horrible to me. Even the dessert. Who messes up dessert! Love the view though! I just go in and stand on the ramp then leave. Duke's is a very good idea. It can also have up to 2 hour waits on busy nights.
Old Jul 7th, 2003, 09:16 PM

I agree your boys would love Duke's. Duke's was great. They do accept reservations. We got there at 7:30 on a Sunday night and there was a two hour wait. We offered the hostess $10 if she could seat us sooner and she sat us at a great table within 15 min.