Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants in Walking Distance to Marriott at 100 Trade St., Charlotte, NC (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-in-walking-distance-to-marriott-at-100-trade-st-charlotte-nc-421178/)

patandhank Aug 28th, 2008 04:54 PM

Restaurants in Walking Distance to Marriott at 100 Trade St., Charlotte, NC

Will be in Charlotte next week for training. Not much chance to do anything during the day, but looking for some good restaurant recommendations for Tues, Wed & Thur night within walking distance (no rental car) of the Marriott. Would appreciate any suggestions.

Ackislander Aug 29th, 2008 10:56 AM

You haven't gotten any answers in close to 24 hours, not a good sign.

Charlotte basically bulldozed its downtown in the 80's and put up office towers, leaving very little reason to go there and creating problems for people who are visiting without cars.

The bleak downtown made it difficult to attract staff for Wachovia and Bank of America, so some restaurants have opened, supposedly with financing help from the banks. I hear good things about Mert's soul food, within walking distance of your hotel.

Perhaps this somewhat negative view will attract Charlotte defenders who have some good places up their sleeves.

Have you tried Chowhound?

Gretchen Aug 29th, 2008 12:20 PM

Maybe Ackislander should come to Charlotte within the past 10 years and see its current downtown scene. What a piece of misinformation.
There is, among others,
Arpa
Zinc
Cosmos Cafe
Luce
Blue
Osteria ___
Lavecchia's
China Bistro
Mimosa Grill
McCormick and Schmick's
Sonoma Grill
Get on the light rail and go to South End for more eateries
Luce, by the way is having a tasting menu for $25 Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

You might also look on restaurant.com for discount coupons for some of these.

Ackislander Aug 29th, 2008 12:32 PM

Ah, I was correct when I wrote: "Perhaps this somewhat negative view will attract Charlotte defenders who have some good places up their sleeves."

Here comes Gretchen with the good places!

Thanks!

away Aug 29th, 2008 12:37 PM

Hi Pat(and Hank)

Gretchen has given you a good list -from that I'd recommend Arpa www.arpagrill.com if you like Tapas (or paella), Blue www.bluerestaurantandbar.com if you like a cool scene, Coco Osteria www.cocoosteria.com (Gretchen, I couldn't remember the name either and had to Google it!) if you want an intimate Italian feel.
Of course, if you're looking for "casual", Brixx Pizza or RiRa's (Irish Pub) are good choices.

shormk2 Aug 29th, 2008 01:01 PM

I'll 3rd Arpa- great tapas and directly across the street from your hotel.

Luce is excellent fine, italian dining on Tryon. Also owned by the same people who own Luce is Coco Osteria- more laid back and relaxed italian dining than Luce.

Blue has a great bar with Jazz music- great food- mediterranean inspired.

Merts does have decent soul food. In the past, I would have recommended the Coffee Cup, but, alas, they are no longer located in uptown. The Coffee Cup was by far the best soul food around.

Mimosa Grill, on Tryon in Wachovia 2, is also delicous. For a while, I had been disappointed with their chef, but they've turned it around and are back in my graces.

Wind your way through 4th ward to Alexander Michaels, for a great neighborhood bar and grill. Located on 9th and Pine, I believe.

Want latin inspired, I like Latorre's. Great ceviche- located on 5th.

For laid back, casual, I would go to the French Quarter. Located on Church in the Latta Arcade. They close early- 9 o'clock, but have great salads and sandwiches. Very popular at lunch time.

For a change of pace, hop on the light rail and go down a few stops to the Southend. Get off at Bland Station, walk to south blvd and turn left. On your left will be Nikko- although I preferred the restaurant when they were in their old location, it is still some of the best sushi in Charlotte. If you are looking for a great steak and don't want to go to Capital Grille (which I actually really like in uptown- Pauly and PeeDee are some of the best bar tenders in town and they have one of Charlotte's best bourbon lists), go to Sullivan's. You can get off at the east/west blvd station- walk towards east blvd, turn right, sullivan's will be up on your right. Or hit, La Paz at the corner of South and Tremont (maybe?)- mexican w/ a twist. In the southend for drinks? Hit Tyber Creek for a fun Irish Pub or Tutomundo's (martinis and funky vibe) and Pewter Rose (drinks and classy jazz music).

I hope this helps. Ackislander clearly hasn't visited Charlotte in a very long time.

patandhank Aug 29th, 2008 01:03 PM

Thanks everyone! I'll be taking this list with me so the other two people from my office and I will have some ideas.

SAnParis2 Aug 29th, 2008 01:05 PM

AckI - i don't usually post about places I don't know anything about...my friends have already covered the restaurant scene fairly well. Enjoy CLT.

Gretchen Aug 29th, 2008 05:03 PM

No,Ack, you don't get off that easy. You basically slandered what is now a true culinary city with your out of date info. And even for that time I could have given you a good number of places to eat. NOT fair. Bring it to the top "nothing in a day"-- I post often and check more. If it is in the top 50, I"d see it. YOu were not fair to the current very excellent Charlotte dining scene.

Ackislander Aug 30th, 2008 03:10 AM

Point taken.