Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants in SF not to miss (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-in-sf-not-to-miss-608646/)

nina Apr 18th, 2006 10:39 AM

Restaurants in SF not to miss

Hi, I'll be accompanying my husband to San Francisco on a business trip and we'll be staying at the Monaco, can anyone recommend some great, not to miss restaurants? We're going to extend the trip to 3 nights.

Thanks!

lovesadventure Apr 18th, 2006 02:01 PM

If you search, you'll find tons of restaurants. The place my husband and I miss the most (used to live there) is the House of Prime Rib. It's not hip or trendy, but still wildly popular. It's been on Van Ness for close to a century, I believe. You should be a carnivore (as can be told by the name) but it's a terrific place.

Where ever you decide, please make reservations.

Spokaneman Apr 18th, 2006 02:44 PM

I was listening to Michael Savage the other day, and regardless of his politics, I think he knows SF and the resturant scene. I was surprised to hear him say that Alioto's Fisherman's Wharf was one of his favorites. Not that it isn't good,and its been there forever its just that I assumed the locals figured it was a tourist trap.

Spokaneman Apr 18th, 2006 02:45 PM

Oh yeah, the Tadich Grill on California is also very good, or was last time I was there.

nevermind Apr 18th, 2006 02:54 PM

I've eaten at Alioto's and didn't care for it. That being said, taste is certainly an individual matter.

Betelnut on Union Street is really fun, and has good food.

FainaAgain Apr 18th, 2006 02:59 PM

Check out the Tonga Room in the Fairmont hotel, polinesian village with rain and thunder (from 8 pm) and you can dance to the live music.

suze Apr 18th, 2006 04:08 PM

I would say "great" but I really like the atmosphere of all the restaurants at Belden Place.

razzledazzle Apr 18th, 2006 04:21 PM

Boulevard
Ame
A16
Gary Danko
Quince
Slanted Door
Zuni Cafe

Reservations essential.

R5

iamq Apr 18th, 2006 05:04 PM

I'll add La Folie and Greens to the list.

-Bill

nina Apr 18th, 2006 06:23 PM

Thanks, the Tadich Grill is still good? I went there about 18 years ago and I loved it, but rarely do restaurants maintain quality like that.

PS, we're serious carnivores.

iamq Apr 18th, 2006 07:03 PM

oops. If you're a carnivore, skip Greens. It's vegetarian.

-Bill

Worktowander Apr 18th, 2006 10:24 PM

Gary Danko, Gary Danko, Gary Danko.

Also have to second the opinion on Alioto's. We were not impressed by the food. The tradition was kind of cool, however.

venturegirl Apr 18th, 2006 11:06 PM

bacar
LuLu
Absinthe
Chez Spencer
Delfina
Tartine
Globe
Town Hall
Citizen Cake for Dessert
Cav - wine bar that also serves nice food plates

If you're a foodie, skip Fisherman's Wharf and perhaps other "historic" S.F. restaurants. If you want a scenic bay option try something at the Ferry Buiding instead.

Another "view" idea - if it's a nice day take the ferry to Tiburon and have lunch at Guaymas.

There are so many good ones. Try using the Chronicle's Top 100 list w/ riviews as a guideline that may help you to narrow:
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...P100_alpha.DTL

bill_boy Apr 18th, 2006 11:59 PM

While we like Delfina, Danko and Boulevard, nobody has yet mentioned any of the excellent Asian dining establishment in SF.

A couple comes to mind - Ebisu in the Sunset and Kabuto in Richmond for some great sushi and othe Japanese dishes; and R&G Lounge along Kearny in Chinatown for some very good Chinese.

offlady Apr 19th, 2006 12:35 AM

If you love garlic, there's The Stinking Rose. That is, if the people around you love garlic.

nina Apr 19th, 2006 12:34 PM

Thanks! We love garlic too, I'm checking out the menus.....

AZWildcat Apr 19th, 2006 02:05 PM

My favorites:

Cha Cha Cha--tapas in the Mission
El Mansour--Moroccan in the Richmond

Both of these have websites that you can google. Casual, great food!

Enjoy!
AZWildcat

LoveItaly Apr 19th, 2006 03:50 PM

Hi nina, what type of food are you and your husband interested in? SF has so many restaurants. Also, what price range do you have in mind?

The GrandCafe is right there at your hotel..some people love that restaurant. Personally I love Scala's Bistro (another Kimpton) property which is attached to the Sir Francis Drake Hotel on Powell St., just 1/2 block north of Post and Union Sq.

But not knowing your preferance regarding food and prices it is difficult to know what to recommend.

BagManFred Apr 19th, 2006 03:53 PM

Stiff's OneI in the marina district. Great for fish.

Kal Apr 19th, 2006 04:13 PM

Carnivore? Does that mean you have short arms and like the circus? :O)

ACME Chop House at PacBell/SBC/ATT Park...or whatever it's called now.

Washington Sq Bar and Grill...Old SF institution...pretty good rib eye and nice wine selection.

O'Reilly's Holy Grail on Polk for a peat smoked pork shank. Good oyster selection, too.=P~

Brazen Head out on Buchanan.

Had two good meals last month in SF at Butterfly near Pier 39 (Kobe Steak Cobb Salad) and Capurro's across the street from The Argonaut. Used to be Franchecshi's.
Good meat ravs!

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....I need a trip to SF again sooooon. ;)