Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Restaurants in Seattle: Capitol Hill & near Chululay museum?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 2013, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am planning a weekend in Seattle in March - will visit DS who is in college there. We will be in 1st Hill/Capitol Hill area, no car. Would like some good restaurant suggestions for lunch and early dinners. We have plans later both evenings so dinner has to be at 5:00 or 5:30. We have been to Cafe La Presse, Quinns, Oddfellows, Terra Plata. Loved them all! Other ideas?

Also, we plan to visit the new Chululay museum - any good (lunch time) restaurants in that area? Thanks!
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 12:33 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
We really like the Skillet Diner, http://skilletstreetfood.com/diner.php

The cafe at the Chihuly exhibit itself is actually quite good, filled with more of Dale's collected wealth. http://www.chihulygardenandglass.com...ions-caf%C3%A9
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 01:11 PM

In addition to what you mention, we like Boom, Barrio, and Osteria La Spiga--all in the vicinity of Quinns.

HTtY
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 02:29 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
http://ethanstowellrestaurants.com/rionexiii/
Rione XIII Ethan Stowell's newest (on 15th Avenue East) is getting great reviews.

That same little stretch of street up at the top of Capitol Hill (on the #10 bus line) is also where Coastal Kitchen, a long time favorite is located.

And not fancy eating but reliable favorites same few blocks is El Faro (mexican), Jamjuree (thai), and Olympia Pizza (italian). These 3 are my go-tos, I live in the neighborhood.
Old Feb 7th, 2013, 03:28 PM

The armory near the Chihuly museum has an extensive food court.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the great suggestions - they are going on the list! My DS just mentioned that he wants to go to the Skillet for breakfast one morning - it's a new favorite of his! I love going to the museum cafes if they are good, so glad to hear that is an option for Chululay museum - can't wait to see it - it was under construction the last time I was there and I peeked through the garden and saw some of the wonderful outdoor sculptures.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 04:25 PM

Mainly bookmarking this for the restaurant recs myself.

Wanted to comment though that we were just in the Armory in December and although I've been to the Seattle Center many times, I don't remember going in there. Seattle natives, was it always open to the public as food court, or has it been recently restored/opened to the public? We especially liked the seasonal train exhibit and the small but good Chihuly history exhibit.
Old Feb 9th, 2013, 05:57 PM

Received 79 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes, it was called the "Food Circus" for many years.
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 07:30 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
As above, yes there's always been a food court. It's in the Centerhouse building (i believe it was called before recently renaming it the Armory).
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 02:16 PM

It's in the Centerhouse building (i believe it was called before recently renaming it the Armory).

But it was built as an armory originally.

http://www.seattlecenter.com/locatio...ail.aspx?id=39
Old Feb 10th, 2013, 03:26 PM

Thanks, everyone. Michael, your link mentioned remodeling and I found another link. Apparently, there weren't all the windows before. I do vaguely remember a place we waited all day for our timed entrance to the original King Tut exhibit. It was kinda dark and boring. That was a great renovation effort.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localne...rhouse13m.html
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 12:17 PM
Original Poster

Just as a follow-up, I wanted to report on my trip: We didn't get to try as many restaurants as we had hoped, but we had a fantastic trip to the Chilulay Museum. It is breathtaking and I highly recommend it!

We ate at the Daliah Lounge - one the few Tom Douglas restaurants that we have not tried. DS had a cheeseburger & fries which were excellent- I took a bite and stole a few fries - really superb! I had a salad with seared ahi, perfect and beautiful!

We went to Cafe La Presse again mostly for convenience - but the food was great as usual - I had the fish special, DS had the steak frites and another guest had a salad, all great and very good wine deals. I like the back room best.

We made our pilgrimage to StumpTown next door to La Presse for Lattes - the best ever and got an impromptu coffee lesson as well. The barista was so nice, he even gave my friend a sample of coffee beans to try for breakfast the next morning. So sweet. I bought several bags of coffee for home as well.

One night we had appetizers at the Hotel Sorrento - we needed a quick and early nosh They have a great happy hour deal on wine and a nice appetizer selection. We had a nice server,too.
For convenience we had breakfast at the Hotel Sorrento too, but it was just ok, nothing special and priced like a hotel breakfast. We wanted to go the Skillet, but were out of time.

We had one lunch at Ivar's at DS's request. Not my first choice, as it is touristy, but he loves their clam chowder and we had a nice seat by the water. They had some lunch specials that were quite reasonable and I had a salmon BLT. Very good.

We also went to Pike's Market as I always have to have those tart dried Chukar cherries - so good! We made a quick trip to the Pendelton store and Nordstrom Rack to supplement DS' wardrobe - afterall, what are visits from Mom for, if not to have good food and go shopping, Haha.

Can't wait to return, Seattle is a great town!
Old Mar 27th, 2013, 06:03 PM

bookmarking