Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   Restaurants in New York for Christmas Day and New Years Eve (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-in-new-york-for-christmas-day-and-new-years-eve-1660856/)

KatPen Nov 29th, 2018 10:02 AM

Restaurants in New York for Christmas Day and New Years Eve

Looking for recommendations for a dim sum/ or regular Chinese restaurant for lunch on Christmas Day, but must take reservations. Most of those I see do not appear to enable booking in advance. Also looking for a restaurant close to 50th and 3rd for an early New Year's eve dinner. Also with reservations...We like most types of food...something a little different would be nice but not mandatory.
thanks

bachslunch Nov 30th, 2018 02:30 PM

Can’t recommend anything specific, though Asian places in general are a good bet for Christmas.

Alternatively, some delis are also open that day — my guess is that all of Katz’s, Second Avenue Deli, and Sarge’s will be open, but call first.

marvelousmouse Dec 1st, 2018 06:52 PM

Is there a reason you really want reservations? Most of the dim sum places I’ve been to don’t do that, and I’d focus more on good food/location than reservations.

admittedly I don’t generally go for fancy dim sum, so I may be mistaken on what you’re looking for...

travelgourmet Dec 2nd, 2018 09:00 AM

I doubt you will have much luck with dim sum reservations, unless maybe if you speak Cantonese or Mandarin and/or have a large party. Reservations just aren’t the norm for dim sum. Hakkasan would be an exception, but they look to be closed on Christmas.

Christina Dec 2nd, 2018 02:08 PM

I presume the OP just wants to make sure they don't have to wander around trying to find a place to eat, just wants to make sure they get in.

I have no idea if this place is good but it does take reservations and appears to be open Christmas

https://www.tridimshanghai.net/

KatPen Dec 3rd, 2018 09:28 AM

We land at 6am after a long flight and I can’t imagine standing in line for ages in the cold waiting for a meal. I understand as mentioned that dim sum places don’t take reservations. So following recommendations from another thread here, I have made a booking for Xmas for Little Alley, and for New Year’s Eve at Crave Fishbar. At least we have something but I am still open to other suggestions. Thanks to all responders.

travelgourmet Dec 3rd, 2018 03:01 PM

One option would be to run a search on OpenTable. It isn't comprehensive, obviously, but it allows you to check for what is a) open and b) has tables available. Reserve is another site to check - not sure how many listings it has in NYC.

IMDonehere Dec 5th, 2018 05:41 AM

Dim sum

See if Nom Wah, Goldern Unicorn, or Jing Fong are open.

KatPen Dec 6th, 2018 10:06 AM

Thanks Imdonehere... but I just checked and none of these 3 take reservations. So at present it is between Little Alley and Tri Dim Shanghai (thanks Christina - also for your suggestions on my other post...)

mclaurie Dec 7th, 2018 04:52 AM

I know Little Alley and it's good. Cafe China in midtown takes reservations. As for NYE, I don't think Lure Fishbar has a midtown location. Did you mean Crave Fishbar?

mclaurie Dec 7th, 2018 05:06 AM

Looking on Opentable, Dynasty Dim Sum takes reservations and gets good reviews for xmas lunch. If you want other options for NYE, look in midtown east on Opentable. There are loads of good options. What do you mean by something "different"?

KatPen Dec 7th, 2018 11:14 AM

I looked on Open Table but find it quite daunting trying to decide. For some reason I find Fodorite’s recommendations more personal. Mclaurie you made me think about what I really mean by “something different”. I guess I mean something with a bit of atmosphere, that will make the dining experience a bit more than a good meal. And I did mean Crave fish bar. Not sure if it fits my bill for atmosphere though. But it does get good reviews too.