Tahoe Trip Report

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tahoe Trip Report

Just back from annual Tahoe vacation and I can not remember when Tahoe was hotter or more crowded. Swimming in the lake was not the usual freeze since the air was hot hot hot. Even at night when we stayed on the lake to view the stars we didn't need even a sweatshirt. Boating at night on the lake usually requires head to toe coverage.

Took our own rafts down the Truckee and it was very fun. Lots of other rafters both with their own rafts and the rented ones. Lots of water fights due to the hot weather. If you go make sure you have a piece of gum at the beginning to leave on the gum bridge! We forgot again!

Ate at Garwoods in Carnelian Bay. Had reservations for Wet Woody Wednesday and ate on the deck. Dinner was absolutely terrific. There were 9 of us, 2 had the halibut special which was suberb, 2 had the ahi which they raved about. Wet Woodys were yummy as usual.

Ate at Evans in South shore near Camp Richardson. It was awesome. There were 4 of use and we all enjoyed our meals of sea bass, ahi, steak and pork chops. Afterwards went to Harrahs which was incredibly smokey. We all won at black jack with sister winning more than $200 at the time of departure.

Just a side note about the number of people...Could not believe that even during the week there was traffic everywhere. Those of you thinking about doing the lake drive may want to rethink unless you go at a time with lower crowd levels. Noticed that there is less and less view of the lake due to home building going on. Also not much view on the Nevada side between Zypher Cove and nearly Sand Harbor.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 08:09 AM

I was there on last year's July 4th, it was as crowded as you describe, I thought it's because of the holiday. Maybe this year it's because of that long colder then usual spring, people were putting off their visits?
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:22 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I think people have just been trying to escape the heat down here. We were in Tahoe/Truckee the week after July 4. Not crowded at all. I was surprised, but figured everyone used up their vacation time over the long weekend. We will be back this weekend staying with friends in Cedar Flats. Have always been curious about Garwoods and will have to try it. Has anyone ever tried the Fondue place in Incline Village. I have been curious about that place too.

Thank you for the report Suzie.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:33 AM
Original Poster

Yeah it really has been hot. We usually go earlier in July but not around the 4th. While the crowds keep building during the month of July they really do peak in August so I think that our vacation ending on the first weekend in August contributed to the feeling of so many more people.

I'd eaten lunch at Garwoods before and had dinner there a few summers ago but this year tops it all really terrific food. Since it was Wednesday we thought it would be really crowded so we made reservations. Since we boated over we had no probelms with parking but I did notice that the parking lot was really crowded. They also have valet parking there and bike racks too!!!!

The pier at the Hyatt in Incline is operating a pretty extensive, though small and portable, bar now. When we arrived there the workers were having their pictures taken as a group before they collected the trash. It was a hoot!!!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:41 AM
OliveOyl

There was an article in the travel section of the Tampa Tribune this Sunday about the development along the lake shore and the impact it has had on the environment. They mentioned views of the lake being obscured by the enormous houses, but worse, the water clarity was deteriorating rapidly, with nutrients that are washed into the lake during and after development promoting algae growth. Their concern was that the things that attract everyone to the area and make it so desirable, the natural setting, the lake, are systematically being destroyed. I wonder if there has been any discussion of a moratorium on development?

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Original Poster

Actually there has been a moratorium on building. It takes years to get permits but once in hand the builders go wild. UC Davis has a lab up there and they study the clarity. It has been reported that the clarity has been improving slowly (really slowly) over the past couple of years but not anything like at the speed that it had deteriorated initially. Part of the problem is that the lake is so incredibly blue and clear that people can't believe that things are bad. When we were in Emerald Bay last week there were parts where you could see the bottom. It's a beautiful place all right!!!
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 12:34 PM

As Suzie says - there has been a building moratorium for years and years. They hold lotteries for the few allowed building permits.

But in ways that has made things worse. Because of the pent up demand - when someone with more money than taste or class gets building permission - they build these gargantuan monstrosities. "old money" San Francisco/Valley families have managed for generations with wonderful lakeside homes that fit in the surroundings. But the new money crowd - mostly dot.commers - have really screwed things up.
Old Aug 5th, 2003, 12:50 PM
OliveOyl

We came within a hair of being transferred there instead of here our last move. Looking at housing prices there I was afraid we were going to have to pitch a tent to afford it. Incredible prices in Incline Village for a place I wouldn't even consider living in. I guess that is the result of the moratorium? The article I read didn't mention the moratorium, but it is a shame that the gargantuous houses are spoiling the enjoyment of the beauty of the area for the rest of us.

Old Aug 5th, 2003, 12:58 PM

No - actually the main reason for living in Incline (which is very nice BTW) is -- NO State income Tax.
Old Aug 10th, 2003, 04:23 PM

to the top

good report!