Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   restaurants in little italy, n.y.c. (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-in-little-italy-n-y-c-316213/)

KELLY May 12th, 2003 03:29 PM

restaurants in little italy, n.y.c.

Hi there. Can any of you recommend a great restaurant in Little Italy, in New York City? A great Sushi bar? Fantastic French Cuisine? Martini Bar?

We know that there are so many fantastic place in New York, so we were hoping to narrow the list just a little. Thanks.

Statia May 12th, 2003 03:57 PM

I hear Chez Josephine is supposed to be great for French food. It's touted a lot on this board.

KELLY May 12th, 2003 04:35 PM

Thanks Statia!

wantsomesun May 12th, 2003 04:36 PM

Luna's in Little Italy is very good and very reasonably priced. It's small with not much atmosphere, but GREAT food.

Our favorite sushi place is in New Jersey, but there is a really good one that is all you can eat Ikura, and there are 2 locations on 3rd Ave at 35th and 17th.

There are so many good restaurants and bars all over the city, so you won't have problems finding something you like.

For a special cocktail spot the lobby of the Palace Hotel is my favorite, on Madison at 50th St.

Have a Great time while you are here.

CAvacationer May 12th, 2003 05:40 PM

IL Cortile in Little Italy is very good.

mrsbu May 12th, 2003 07:09 PM

I think we have eaten in every restaurant in Little Italy and hands down the best is called Due Amici, it's on the first block of mulberry street on the left hand side across from a small parking lot. It is smallonly about 10 teables and the food is great. The owner manny is a character and will tell you everything you need to know about Italy food and city fun.
it is not expensive and is one of the few restaurants that has a bathroom on the main level, not at the bottom or top of a hundred stairs. Manny will give you something on the houise at all times wine after dinner drink something . To make you feel at home.

DavidDJ_ May 12th, 2003 07:45 PM

I also like IL Cortile. Although I have not been to La Mela, I hear that is good place as well..

actravelgirl May 13th, 2003 06:57 AM

For great sushi, try Tomoe on Thompson St in the West Village. You have to get there early and wait on line, but it is worth it for the amazing fresh fish! We also like Iso on 2nd Ave in the East Village. My sister loves Yama on Carmine St, also in the W. Village, but the one on 17th St in Gramercy Park is also wonderful (yet tiny). My favorite French (bistro) place is Chez Michallet in the W. Village. (I recommend it on this board often). It is small and romantic, so I don't know if that fits your bill, but we always have a great meal when we are there. Hope this helps...

suzanne May 13th, 2003 09:02 AM

Here's another recommendation for Il Cortile. Though it's probably the most expensive restaurant in Little Italy! It's been featured on "the Sopranos" (if you care).

My favorite martini bar (and I do love martinis) is Pravda. It's in Soho. The waitresses and bartenders are beautiful and friendly, and the martinis (many many different flavors) are spectacular...and potent.

mrsbu May 13th, 2003 07:06 PM

La Mela from someone who has made the mistake of going there. First of all no menu, they just bring you what ever they have, secondly no idea of cost until check comes, no liquor license. Mostly they proudly display all of there health code violations like some kind of badge of honour. Take it from someone who was lucky enough to get food poisoning there it is not pretty.
The restaurant is filthy at best and the tone can be very baudy. It is an honour to pull the penis like light cord over the center communal table. All in all not the best place to eat . If you aren't brave enough to eat at one of the small places go to Il Cortile
it is probably one of if not the most expensive place in Littly Italy. Mostly predictable menu, Why not a progressive dinner on mulberry st. Start from the beginning and eat an appetizer in one place then main course in another and on to ferraras for dessert. Have the Lobster Tail it is delicious. Like a big cream filled pastry shaped like a lobster tail. yummy it can be a meal in itself.