Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   United States (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/)
-   -   restaurants in Johnson City or vicinity (https://www.fodors.com/community/united-states/restaurants-in-johnson-city-or-vicinity-161203/)

leahinsc Jan 2nd, 2005 03:56 PM

restaurants in Johnson City or vicinity

Anyone have any nice/fine dining restaurant suggestions in Johnson City/Jonesborough, Elizabethton, Butler???

mei Jan 2nd, 2005 05:28 PM

My favorite place to eat in that area has to be The Ridgewood in Bluff City....but it is not fancy. I know there is a new restaurant in Eliz in a beautiful restored house with a chef form NYC, but I don't know the name. It's in the old Carter Mansion and is a BYOB. Johnson City pretty much chains, but I think there's a decent brew pub near ETSU as well as a good restaurant (Wellington's) in the Carnegie Hotel.

leahinsc Jan 3rd, 2005 02:17 AM

Mei - awesome! just the advice I was looking for! I was beginning to despair that there was nothing but fast food...

xrae Jan 11th, 2005 08:47 PM

Carter on Main is the restaurant in Elizabethton. I haven't tried it yet but hear it's very good. Elizabethton has a few little bistro-type places around the Elk Avenue area.

The Gourmet & Co. in JC (in shopping center across from Fairfild Inn) offers some really nice dinner menus. I've had several very nice lunches there but haven't had the pleasure of a dinner yet.

Jonesborough has the Speakeasy in the former Parson's Table building, as well as their other cool little eateries like Main Street Cafe.

I've always heard raves of that family-style restaurant on Lake Watauga between Hampton and Butler but can't think of the name right off. It's not what I'd call "fine" dining.

The Johnson City brew restaurant is the Sophisticated Otter. Haven't been there in a while but I've never been impressed with their food. Hubby says their brews are all right. The little Acoustic Coffeehouse across the street has better beer on tap, including Highland from Asheville, but their food offerings are limited.

Despite being a BBQ restaurant, The Firehouse in Johnson City has repositioned itself nicely into as much of a fine dining place as you'll get in JC. I like that they use fire buckets in place of ice buckets for wine, that's a clever touch. As always, the BBQ is great. I always waver between Firehouse, Dixie, and Red Pig as to which is my favorite. While Ridgewood is favored by many, I prefer pulled to sliced BBQ, but you can't beat the Ridgewood's fries!

Probably the finest establishment in the Tri-Cities is Troutdale Dining Room in Bristol.

I've been to Galloway's once since they moved to the Best Western Hotel in JC. I thought the atmosphere could use a little work, but they've probably added some touches since I was in there last.

And even though they're chains, I really do like Johnny Carino's and Carrabba's. If you pick the right time of day you shouldn't have to wait very long for a table.

- Rae (JC resident ... can you tell?)

leahinsc Jan 12th, 2005 04:49 AM

Rae - have you heard of Peerless restaurant in JC? A friend whose husband works in JC says that is THE place they take clients to entertain. Also,got a couple of recommendations on Cherry Hill restaurant in Hampton as a nice place.

xrae Jan 16th, 2005 06:36 PM

Oh yes, the Peerless! I have only been there one time, but it's very popular, has a wonderful reputation, and offers an early bird menu.

One Kingsport restaurant with a great reputation is Skoby's. It's off the beaten path, so just ask someone and they'll be able to direct you to it.

I have not heard of the Cherry Hill restaurant, but I will check it out!

The family style restaurant I'm thinking of on Lake Watauga is called Shirley's. I've never been, but it has a great reputation.

leahinsc Jan 17th, 2005 02:22 AM

xrae - looks like Skoby's has been closed or "donated" to Virginia Intermont. When I looked up their website it didn't look promising. We're going this weekend (21st) so if you find out any info on Cherry Hill let me know.

xrae Jan 17th, 2005 07:23 PM

Huh ... hubby just confirmed the closing of Skoby's, which I'd heard nothing about (he is supposed to keep me informed of such things! lol It used to be our anniversary restaurant). Hubby says the Virginia Intermont culinary school now operates the restaurant, so you might want to check the Virginia Intermont website for info since I obviously don't know what's going on!

We had dinner at Chops in Kingsport tonight. It was delicious. The place was packed with more upscale and business-like patrons than you'll find at Cheddar's or Applebees and the like. My sis is staying at Meadowview this week on business and she says their restaurant w/ buffet is tasty. I've not eaten there myself. I browsed the menu this evening while waiting in the hotel.

I was able to find this on Cherry Hill ... I will ask some friends who are more in tune with Carter County if they've been to the place.

Cherry Hill Restaurant
Cajun food served in an old house which exhudes warmth and charm. Open Wednesday-Sunday for dinner only. Also serving chops, steak and chicken, but whatever, save room for dessert! Call 423-725-9922 for reservations.

xrae Jan 17th, 2005 07:23 PM

P.S. Cherry Hill would be the closest to Butler, except maybe Shirley's or the Captain's Table, which overlooks Watauga Lake.

leahinsc Jan 19th, 2005 06:19 AM

Rae - have you heard anything about The Meadows restaurant at the Marriott Convention Center? I haven't seen anything on Chops yet - where is it located?

leahinsc Jan 22nd, 2005 11:21 AM

Rae - the B&B was great - Sugar Hollow Retreat. We ended up going into Boone as we were on that side about 40 min and had a really good meal at the Red Onion across from ASU dorms.
do you know anything about houseboat rental on Lake Watauga?

xrae Jan 22nd, 2005 07:47 PM

Sorry I missed your message before your trip! I have poked my head inside the Meadows restaurant before. It's one of the nicest places in Kingsport for a business-type lunch. My sister and husband say their buffets are good. Chops is on Eastman Road in Kingsport. It's a small chain. Their menu lists six or seven locations in all. Steaks and chops and wines and the like. We had a fried green tomatoes appetizer served with some cheese grits and gravy. SO YUMMY and nearly a meal in itself.

I haven't rented houseboats on Lake Watauga. That sounds like a relaxing weekend activity! I could do a little local research if that's something you think you might want to do. Just let me know.